It can happen QUICK! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

It can happen QUICK!

I hate even bringing up this subject, but maybe i can educate a little.

Last night a kid that hangs out with alot of the sportbike guys in town, i think he was 18, and parents would not let him get a bike yet. So frome time to time he would ride a friends bike a little. well last night he got on his friends bike, and was riding back and forth in the mall parking lot, he tried to do a wheelie, and crashed. When he went down, he hit a curb, no helmet.
I was in town eating, when i got the call, i went to the E.R. about 5 min after i got there, they said he did not make it.

Just a reminder guys, it can happen that quick, he was on an 04 636, plz be carefull people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM

Damn, I cant imagine how his parents feel right now

RIP

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

His parents are extremely pissed, they would not even look at any of the bike riders. I kinda don't blame them, i might be pissed to initially. The guy who owns the bike is worried about a lawsuit. i'm no lawyer so i don't know if they can sue, but i told him not to worry about it, trying to keep him calm.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 AM

man you hate to hear shyt like dat my boy just went down hard.

He does have good reason to worry though because from the sounds of it they will be filing suit and they will win. in Maryland if you have someone on the back and they fall off they can file suit unless they sign a waiver so be carefull picking up those sexy gurls who just wanna look cool on the back fellows. I know this dude that got jail time his life was ruined not to mention his wife took the family and left him .. SO think b4 you say yes to that sweet little shorty that wants to do anything for a ride
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 AM

Why didn't the guy whose bike it was give him his helmet to use? Especially if he was trying to pull wheelies. No offense and I'm sorry to hear what happened, but only parking lot experience + trying to pull wheelies on a 636.. I wouldn't really expect anything else to happen.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Wow... THAT sucks... Prob. one of the stupidest ways to go...

RIP

Of course, this could be a good argument for parents that insist on saying "no", you know they're going to do it anyway, so you might as well, at least get them a helmet and an MSF course... How many of us religiously listened to their parents at 18? Not I.

Ahh, just venting, it's no one's fault, you could point the finger all day, in the end, it was nothing more than a stupid accident.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:24 PM

We have ANOTHER reason for saying NO when somone wants to ride our m/cs.

Note I am not saying a thing about the owners damaged bike or his feelings!!!!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:45 PM

I'm going to bet that the guy who owned the bike recieved the request like so...

"dude, I'm bored, can I tool around the lot and practice on your bike?

Owner: Yea man, all my gear is sittin on it, knock yourself out. be careful though man. That thing is my baby!

Kid: No doubt. *thinks to self... I'm gonna pimp this shit.. check it out! WOOHOO!*"

No gear and about 20 seconds later the owner sees the kid go by, give a wave, and attempt an uber squidly wheelie and it goes wrong.

Sadly it happens every day. Wheelies are fun kids... but please please please learn to ride and be smart about it.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I don't see how he can be sued for someone elses actions. He can't get fines or anything cause it wasn't on a public road. Lawsuit wise they'll probably pull the "you let a non licensed rider use your bike and it got him killed. Your fault". And it's bullshit. Trying to be a nice guy and he's gonna get screwed. Shit like that pisses me off.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
I'm going to bet that the guy who owned the bike recieved the request like so...

"dude, I'm bored, can I tool around the lot and practice on your bike?

Owner: Yea man, all my gear is sittin on it, knock yourself out. be careful though man. That thing is my baby!

Kid: No doubt. *thinks to self... I'm gonna pimp this shit.. check it out! WOOHOO!*"

No gear and about 20 seconds later the owner sees the kid go by, give a wave, and attempt an uber squidly wheelie and it goes wrong.

Sadly it happens every day. Wheelies are fun kids... but please please please learn to ride and be smart about it.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I don't see how he can be sued for someone elses actions. He can't get fines or anything cause it wasn't on a public road. Lawsuit wise they'll probably pull the "you let a non licensed rider use your bike and it got him killed. Your fault". And it's bullshit. Trying to be a nice guy and he's gonna get screwed. Shit like that pisses me off.
It could go under the attractive nuisance concept.. The same way people gets sued for kids that sneak into their pool and drown... But I havent seen that used on adults, also nothing says it couldnt.. its a matter of who got more money..

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Yea the kid was one of those outa control kids, i would have never let him ride my mower.

But it still sux, and is a reality biter, you can never let your gaurd down, i know i have had those days when you ride for an hour, get back in town, hotter than hell, so i pull off my helmet for the 30 mph through town ride, well things like this just let me know that your never safe.

Even though i would never ride wheelies without my helmet, i can remember a couple yrs back when i could be found with a couple buddies, no shirt, no helmet, stand ups at 75mph, thinkin i was cool. I'm glad i lived through my squid days.

As far as the lawsuit thing, i know a guy who had a gixxer 1000 about 3 weeks, wrecked it and decided to get rid of it, let someone take over payments, they wrecked it, and since it was still regestered in his name, and he was not insuring it, the kid sued him for hospital bills, and won! Kinda shitty, but goes to show, you gotta cover your ass good these days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode