Something's bothering me - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Something's bothering me

Ok, I've got an '05 GSX-r600 with a Hotbodies Undertail exhaust, PCIII, and K&N (applause).

My friend recently acquired an '04 R6 with a D&D pipe and no other known modifications.

So I'm confused. Side-by-side, in a race, I beat him every time. My bike accelerates faster, no question. And yet, his is the only one that will pull the front wheel under full acceleration. I know I've read on here that "New stock 600's" will pull the front wheel off the ground under full acceleraton, but I have had different results. But despite the fact that I'm faster, his is the one that comes up.

Any idea why that is? Is it the weight balance of the bike? Possibly suspension settings? I'm not really pressed about it, as I am fine with keeping the front on the ground, but I was just curious.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Hi snakesht-

Have you tried swapping motorcycles to see if it is a difference in who is piloting the bike? Do you weigh considerably more or less than the person who owns the other motorcycle?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
No matter how much i trust my friend, he's not taking my girl. I weigh about 40 lbs less.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:56 PM

Hi snakesht-

Do you have a mutual friend who is a great rider who can ride them both back-to-back to get his/her insights? Perhaps a local shop can advise you on a racer who could help.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 11:20 PM

I've read while back that R6 always had more midrange than any other, with the exception of 636 arriving to the scene between 600 super sports. of course with your upgrades, you have more midrange now.

so my guess is that R6 tends to have 50/50 front and rear weight ratio to make the front end light. while gixxers tend to go for 51-51.4% front weight and 49-48.6% at the rear. so not sure how this will affect power-wheelies, but chasis design and suspension always has something to do with how efficiently bike transfers power to the rear w/o wheeleing. race bikes are set up to avoid most wheelies.

of course rider's individual weight and where you position the weight has a lot to do with keeping the front down or letting it soar.

on technical side, perhaps your PCIII isn't configured properly.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 09-11-2005 at 11:25 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:56 AM

My guess is body positioning. The riders weight is a pretty significant percentage of overall vehicle weight. Try sitting back in the seat a bit and keeping your weight back upon full acceleration and see what happens.

If this doesn't change it, I would attribute it to the way both bikes are designed. It really suprises me that your bike won't come up a little under full acceleration if you are not over the tank.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:56 AM

I'd guess it's the difference in riders. Perhaps you are subconsciously leaning forward, shifting more weight than you realize on the front wheel?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:55 AM

Re: Something's bothering me

Quote:
Originally posted by snakesht
Ok, I've got an '05 GSX-r600 with a Hotbodies Undertail exhaust, PCIII, and K&N (applause).

My friend recently acquired an '04 R6 with a D&D pipe and no other known modifications.

So I'm confused. Side-by-side, in a race, I beat him every time. My bike accelerates faster, no question. And yet, his is the only one that will pull the front wheel under full acceleration. I know I've read on here that "New stock 600's" will pull the front wheel off the ground under full acceleraton, but I have had different results. But despite the fact that I'm faster, his is the one that comes up.

Any idea why that is? Is it the weight balance of the bike? Possibly suspension settings? I'm not really pressed about it, as I am fine with keeping the front on the ground, but I was just curious.

I say it's tallent on your part, and lack there-of on his part. You may not realize it... you may subconciously be keeping it down.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:23 AM

not wheeling is probably helping you win the races...

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
not wheeling is probably helping you win the races...

+1. Thats why I called it "talent".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode