off-season riding? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

off-season riding?

Since I've just recently became interested in street bikes, I haven't really noticed whether people ride their bikes other than in summer. is it completely, die-if-you-try unsafe to ride when it's wet out, or is it just something that only experienced riders can/should try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:19 PM

I ride my bike rain or shine to/ from my motorcycle shop 5 days a week. After all, Ducs take to water like...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:50 PM

There are added dangers, but riding when it's wet won't kill you.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:24 PM

I try to keep my bike from the rain because I hate cleaning it afterward. Anything under about 40 degrees is a bit uncomfortable for me.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Hi All-

My answer is practically the same as Unas_the_Slayer and Wheelie_Steve above. Getting your motorcycle wet won't make it melt as if it's made of sugar, but it sure is a pain getting it all cleaned-up again. Dirty water sprays darn near EVERYWHERE if you get caught in the rain.

A good wrap around your neck will keep the cold breezes at bay, but I absolutely refuse to ride when it is below the freezing point because the dangerous risk of black ice just isn't worth it...

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

i was thinkin more of the safety issues rather than the bike gettin dirty
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:44 PM

I was taught at the MSF course the most dangerous part about riding in the rain is the roads right after it starts raining. The oils on the road come up, so during the first 15-30 minutes or so of rain the roads can be slick. After that it's not bad, you still have a good amount of traction.

Keep in mind painted lines become slippery, and wet leaves are obviously very slippery as well.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:59 AM

I will echo everyone else here. It is definitely a bit more dangerous, but if you take it easy there really shouldn't be much of an issue.

I would try and get miles under your belt though before you ride in the rain regularly. Just take it easy on turns, give yourself more cushion and stay upright as much as possible and you will be fine.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 AM

I avoid riding in the rain, because it's no fun to do, IMHO. But sometimes you just get caught in it. Like the other morning riding home from work. It had only sprinkled a little at work, but the closer I got to home, the wetter it was. About 3 miles from home I got caught in a pretty heavy downpour. The worst part about that was the lightening. It was striking the ground all around me, even knocking the power out on my street. That is certainly not fun on a bike. Not to mention the fact that it's hard to see when your visor is covered with water, especially at night with approaching headlights.

You just have to take it easy on the throttle and be aware of increased stopping distances. Use engine braking when possible. Be extra carefull on the downshifts, shifting later rather than sooner, as you can suddenly loose traction

As was already mentioned, the worst time is just after the rain starts and painted lines are going to be slick. As well as anything metal, like manhole covers, bridge joints, etc.

Last edited by hapster; 09-12-2005 at 05:21 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 AM

And if you're going to ride in the rain, dress appropriately. Getting soaked isn't fun.

And vision at night can be very tricky. I got caught in a downpour on the highway, and between not being well-lit, and my visor covered in water, only thing I could see were the tailights in front of me, so I was basically following them to gauge the curves. Couldn't see the lines on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode