How to get a good deal on a new zx6r with a trade-in - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Question How to get a good deal on a new zx6r with a trade-in

About to dive into the bike buying process for the second time. When i bought my 2005 ninja 500 i was kind of overwhelmed by the situation having never bought anything transportation-wise brand new like that. I was a newbie girl...and it showed! I had done my research but i was too timid to really look into lowering the price and looking for deals.This time I want to be smarter. Anyone with advice on how to haggle the price down please let me know!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:42 AM

First and biggest advice I can give is dont trade in your old bike, sell it yourself. This will be the biggest money difference in the whole process.

Also theres a place on the web, do a search, that gives you the actual invoice and fair prices of new bikes. Pay for that, its like $10, and there you will know where you stand.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 AM

Like he said, you'd be better off selling your bike. Don't get all excited about the new bike at the stealership, this is the proper time for a good poker face. If they ask you what you can afford a month, never answer them... they'll make sure that is what you'll pay. Always talk total price, not monthly payments... use one of the online payment calculators to determine what you are willing to pay total prior to going to the shop. Lets say the new bikes msrp is $8000 I'd make them an offer for say $7000 out the door. They'll probably make a counter offer. Continue untill you are sure they won't go any lower. Don't be timid at all, be very firm...remember that poker face. Also don't let the salesman bully you around. Know the bike well from research, don't let him lie to you about anything. Never pay for extra fees like Doc, storage, weatherproofing, or any of that other crap... it's all just a ploy to make more money. If the salesman pisses you off, don't be afraid to get up and walk out. There are plenty of good shops out there that would appreciate your business.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:01 AM

Call dealership in your area, asking for deals. Call ones that might even be too far to travel. Call more local ones again and ask them to match an offer.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blaster668
don't be afraid to get up and walk out.
This...

...is the greatest power to have in negotiations.

edit: I just want to throw in that sometimes, you might want to consider what's acceptable to you with respect to how much time you're going to put into this. In other words, don't spend 3 months working your butt off to save $100...

Last edited by Mystery Squid; 09-09-2005 at 11:09 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Squid

edit: I just want to throw in that sometimes, you might want to consider what's acceptable to you with respect to how much time you're going to put into this. In other words, don't spend 3 months working your butt off to save $100...

Good advice
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:37 PM

+1 on being able to just walk out.

Another good tip is to find out what kind of commission the sales-person makes. If he/she makes a 'per bike' (certain amount, regardless of how much the sale is), feel free to low-ball the turds out of him. If he's on a percentage of sale price comm. . . forget about trying to work with them too much. . .
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Also, if your pretty happy with the pricing, but they wont go lower, see if they will throw in some nice gear.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Buy a cycle trader...they have new bike dealer ads and the dealer will usually match a competitors ad.

Here is the ad I used when I got mine....well, this is the web page price list, but the ad in cycletrader was similar.

http://www.kawasakicityirving.com/price.html
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much to all! I'll definately be firm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode