New riders, 1000cc - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

New riders, 1000cc

All these new riders buying liter bikes, I want to know the reasons for buying a liter bike over a 600.

Just curious to here their reasoning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:02 AM

"because its faster" is the most common I have heard.

"because the price was right. "

" Because my friends have them, and I want to be able to keep up."

"It's only 150 hp... my car has like 250-300."
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like good reasons to me, here is my responses,

Quote:
"because its faster" is the most common I have heard.
Just the person that needs a liter bike!

Quote:
"because the price was right. "
Still should be able to get a 600 cheaper.

Quote:
" Because my friends have them, and I want to be able to keep up."
Where in the hell are your friends riing fast enough that a 600 won't keep up?

Quote:
"It's only 150 hp... my car has like 250-300."
Tell me when this guy comes to my town, i'm gonna put my bike away and stay at home!

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
It's all about Big Bikes.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:21 AM

Something else that I keep hearing over and over is just because the power is there, doesnt mean you have to use it.

I know one person that spun out mid corner, and quickly realized how wrong that statement really is.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:21 AM

I think the most common reason is because they want to have the biggest and fastest. Say your on a 600 and a guy on a liter bike pulls up next to you, you suddanly feel incompetant because " ohhh its a 1000 it must be alot faster" What noob's just need to know is that yes they have more torque, but look at the 1/4 mile times, almost identical. When ever i hear a person with no riding experiance say they want a liter bike, i just reaspond, you'll kill your self in a day.

Guess I should change my name, not a poser anymore.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 AM

For new riders or for riders period?

When I was picking a bike, I was looking at the 636. In the older days liters were faster but heavier. That changed, given that the 6r and 10r are less than 20lbs apart. The price difference being fairly small, I opted to "go all the way". Just so that I wouldnt have the "what if" in the back of my head. I knew that I wouldnt be any faster on a liter, but I also knew that I could handle one without it scaring me (which I wasnt entirely right about)

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 AM

I've heard:

"May as well do it right."

"A 600 is too small for me(physically)."

"I'm going to move up eventually anyway, don't want to bother buying/selling a bike I'm going to get sick of."
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:58 AM

don't get me wrong i don't think it's a good idea...

but it can be done.... there are people out there that have started on a big bike and learned respect and to be safe...

It just makes no sense to me..... It's all EGO... they don't care how well they ride it but just want to look cool... sitting on it in the pking lot.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Theres only one REAL reason to get a liter bike for street use over a 600 and that is you have more power on demand throughout the powerband.

If you are riding along in 6th and want to pass, dropping a gear isn't a neccisty. Basically it boils down to being able to compensate for bad/lazy riding techniques. Not that that is a bad thing. Sometimes I dont feel like dropping a gear when I really should and wished I had the extra ccs on tap.

The trade off is that there is a lot more power there for you to get into trouble with, i.e. wiping out in mid turn.

But like I have always said, a good rider will tear up most posers on liter bikes with an EX500.

Liter bikes dont make you faster, because in all reality most the squids on them couldnt push a 250 to its limits let alone that beast between their legs. Most buy it for the prestige/ego.

What is funny to me kinda relates to what Vash said though. People are always trying to make their 600s faster, with pipes, pc, etc. Like they need more power when they arent using half of what they have already. Too me if I wanted a faster bike then my 600, I would of gotten a liter bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode