How many speeding tickets have you got on your bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: How many speeding tickets have you got on your bike?
0 21 56.76%
1 8 21.62%
2 4 10.81%
3 1 2.70%
4 1 2.70%
5 or more 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

How many speeding tickets have you got on your bike?

Just curious as to how many people have got speeding tickets on their bike. I'm worried about getting a street bike for this reason. I currently have a perfect driving record with no accidents and no speeding tickets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Of the 2, NEITHER "stuck"...

1. Cop never showed up for hearing
2. Cop couldn't unequivocally prove it was me, won at the Judge appeal level, a FANTASTIC win!

This is over 3 years, and 30,000 miles.

It should also be noted that I'm a serious Squid. Almost always triple digits on the highways, and almost never the speed limit on any other roads, with tons of technically illegal passing, frequently running stop signs, and red lights in certain situations.

Edit: I read this, and thought, wow, that does sound a lot worse than it actually is... I want to add the caveat that there's a right time and place to do these sorts of things. For example, running a red light. Obviously, you don't do it at some busy intersection, I'm talking more like out in the country somewhere, where no one is around, and you can easily see anyone that might be approaching. Or Stop signs that should really be treated as "Yield" signs more than anything. Likewise applied to triple digit speeds on the highway, you don't cut off cars making them hit their brakes, nor do you even come close to them. I think every one of us has punched it when they come upon a clear stretch of highway with little or no traffic on it at one time or another. While I'll be the first one to admit that I ride hard sometimes, again, I want to emphasize that just like stunting, there's a time and place for everything.

And, oh yeah, knock on wood...

Last edited by Mystery Squid; 09-07-2005 at 06:51 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM

How about five in 59 yrs of riding & none when driving a cage those 59 yrs?

Mind you one in '77 was for Dangerous Driving & that, in Cdn, is a Criminal Offence so mug shots, finger printing & such. Oh & lost the case so highest fine they could through a first time offender, that with a lawyer took up two days in court, & 6 month suspension of my DL.

Been lucky though was nailed three time in '03 & (tap wood) I will not receive any this year or the future------what a dreamer I will admit.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-07-2005 at 04:48 PM.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Squid

It should also be noted that I'm a serious Squid. Almost always triple digits on the highways, and almost never the speed limit on any other roads, with tons of technically illegal passing, frequently running stop signs, and red lights in certain situations.

First off congrats on winning your two tickets. but secondly.....why are you braging about being a squid? IMHO you are just making a bad name for the biker world. Not to sound like an ass.....

Oh yeah....I got one ticket, I was going down a hill and wasn't paying attention to my speed or the signs.....it went from 45 to 35.....I was clocked at 50 in a 35....oh well I paid my ticket and got over it.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stillon2Wheels
First off congrats on winning your two tickets. but secondly.....why are you braging about being a squid? IMHO you are just making a bad name for the biker world. Not to sound like an ass.....

I hear ya...

It just goes to show, that contrary to popular belief, and for those that believe everything they're told, you CAN speed responsibly AND "beat-the-man-at-his-own-game". There's a right place and time to do this sort of thing, just like stunting. Biker's already have a bad name, the non-biker crowd already assumes everyone on a sportbike is a stupid Squid with a death wish anyway. That's the way it's been, and will be, and I have no desire to change my riding style in a futile attempt to make a point to the contrary.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Squid
...speed responsibly...
Now there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

Never had a ticket on my bike. Last ticket in my cage was over five years ago.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I could be wrong but isn't it safer to speed and go by people rather than sit in one place on the highway?

Also do you find police to be easy on bikers because of the dangers of obeying typical speed laws? Also what exactly is a squid; someone driving crazy?

I want a bike so bad but I've never been on the street and I live in the bay area CA and the traffic is really bad not to mention all the bad drivers. I currently do trail riding on a 250 2 stroke (I love the feel of accelerating when you hit their power band and they jump, best part of a 2 stroke bike is that snap and the sound and the smell). I figure the trail riding will get my skill level up.

The main reason I haven't got a ticket in a car is that I'm constantly checking my rear view mirror. My first car was a modified illegal bug so I constantly had to watch for police and had to be able to quiet down my exhaust when going by them. But I figure that you can't drive like this with a motorcycle because you have to look all around you and can't waste your attention looking for police is this true?

I also have a desire to take some street bike classes that will allow me to go from novice racing to intermediate to advanced. Are things like this offered? The closest track to me is sears point but it sounds like I wouldn't be allowed to take the class that they offer because I've never been on a street bike.

Last edited by joshp; 09-07-2005 at 06:37 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joshp
I could be wrong but isn't it safer to speed and go by people rather than sit in one place on the highway?
Totally depends on the situation. Yes, there are times where that will be safer, but also times when it won't be the best idea. I don't think it's even fair to shoot out hypothetical examples, as there are too many for each scenario.

Quote:
Also do you find police to be easy on bikers because of the dangers of obeying typical speed laws?
Hell no. Typically, if anything, Cops are WORSE on bikers, unless they themselves ride. As for the "dangers of obeying typical speed laws", well, I can tell you're a younger guy, so please don't use that as an excuse to speed. I won't say you should obey the speed limit all the time because I sure as heck don't (and no one here consitently does either, that's reality), but it is there for a reason, and some of it for safety. You can't have every a-hole blasting through your neighborhood at 10X's the limit just because he thinks he can speed responsibly. As far as cops are concerned, there is NO danger in obeying typical "speed laws".

Quote:
Also what exactly is a squid; someone driving crazy?
Yes. The standardized, and generally accepted, representation of one, is someone wearing a wife-beater tank top, shorts, flip-flops with no helmet, and a bad ass pair of Oakley's. Who, mind you, have 1 inch wide chicken strips on their rear tire (chicken strip= an indicator of how far over you've leaned your bike, typically, the less "chicken strips", the better rider you are).

Quote:
But I figure that you can't drive like this with a motorcycle because you have to look all around you and can't waste your attention looking for police is this true?
Yes and no. The more experienced you become, the better you will be able to manage your attention. In the begining, you shouldn't typically waste your attention looking for police, but rather focus on not only your riding, but aware of what's going on ALL around you.

Quote:
I also have a desire to take some street bike classes that will allow me to go from novice racing to intermediate to advanced. Are things like this offered? The closest track to me is sears point but it sounds like I wouldn't be allowed to take the class that they offer because I've never been on a street bike.
PLEASE DO! Start with the beginner MSF course, there is NO SUCH THING as being too experiened to take it. Your dirtbike experience will certainly help you, but you will almost ALWAYS pick up something worthwhile in the course, AND they provide the bike! You CAN'T go wrong. Furthermore, they aren't generally offered at tracks. Rather somewhere within a reasonable driving distance from you, within some parking lot or other open paved area with some space.

Then there's the "advanced" MSF course, where they get into a litte more detail, and you use your own bike.

Then there are all sorts of "racing" schools/classes out there, I'm sure someone will pipe in, if they don't, Google "Penguin Motorcycle Racing", and something should come up.

BTW, in your neck of the woods:

http://www.motorcycleschool.com/brc.html

Last edited by Mystery Squid; 09-07-2005 at 07:24 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:00 PM

You know, whoever answers 'zero' tickets in this thread is bound to get a ticket real soon. It's that Murphy's law always working against you.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

In my area if you're doing the speed limit of 65 mph, more than likely some idiot in a car is going to be riding your rear real close. Unlike the typical driver in CA I have a respect for bikers and if they're in front of me I give them a nice gap in case anything happens to them I can avoid them. If I see them in my rear view splitting the lanes I'll move all the way over in my lane to allow them as much room as possible. But you have plenty of people that will see them splitting lanes and try to stop them by closing the gap between the lanes.

I guess I'm somewhat young at 22. It may be a little while before I get a bike (want to get out of school first so I can handle a bike payment, then again I could just sell my car and buy a bike) but my first bike will be a 600CC and more than likely a suzuki; from the reviews I've read they have a smooth power band throughout the rpm range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode