I have failed at life. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy I have failed at life.

Well bike number two is now not running as well. So much for getting my licence this season. First bike I bought was a fzr600, a guy I know said he could fix the transmission so i got the bike cheap. Low and behold, he couldnt fix it. Bike number two, my katana750, idled high and need carb work. Had a guy I work with rebuild the carborator, he turn the idle screw down now it wont start, and he cant get the idle back up. Supposedly he had his motorcycle mechanic friends look at it and they didnt no what was wrong. Man I am just taking shaft after shaft up the bum. Guess since I am flat out of funds, and I owe my friend money for my katana I wont be riding till next season when I can buy a reliable 600 or 750 rr. .

If anyone wants to buy project bikes I have two. The first one is a 91 fzr600. Second gear is blown out but the motor starts up great. I will give you the bike, new windscreen, new clutch/brake levers, new mirrors, and a spare motorblock with a working transmittion in it for $1000. The spare motor has a few good parts you can sell on ebay for like 70 bucks a piece such as the circular cover thing that says yamaha, and the stator.

The second is a 94 katana 750. The carborator is newly rebuilt and sync'd. Just had a oil change and new plugs put in. I don't know how much work this bike needs (or whats really wrong with it, look above for explatation), could be a simple fix. I will sell for $1500, which is what i bought it for, now that i have a few hundred more invested into it.

If anyone is seriously interested e-mail me or pm me and I will see what I can do about pictures. I live in upstate NY. About 40 minutes north of albany.

Thanks for basking in my sorrow with me everyone. I love you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:20 AM

Re: I have failed at life.

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
Well bike number two is now not running as well. So much for getting my licence this season. First bike I bought was a fzr600, a guy I know said he could fix the transmission so i got the bike cheap. Low and behold, he couldnt fix it. Bike number two, my katana750, idled high and need carb work. Had a guy I work with rebuild the carborator, he turn the idle screw down now it wont start, and he cant get the idle back up. Supposedly he had his motorcycle mechanic friends look at it and they didnt no what was wrong. Man I am just taking shaft after shaft up the bum. Guess since I am flat out of funds, and I owe my friend money for my katana I wont be riding till next season when I can buy a reliable 600 or 750 rr. .

If anyone wants to buy project bikes I have two. The first one is a 91 fzr600. Second gear is blown out but the motor starts up great. I will give you the bike, new windscreen, new clutch/brake levers, new mirrors, and a spare motorblock with a working transmittion in it for $1000. The spare motor has a few good parts you can sell on ebay for like 70 bucks a piece such as the circular cover thing that says yamaha, and the stator.

The second is a 94 katana 750. The carborator is newly rebuilt and sync'd. Just had a oil change and new plugs put in. I don't know how much work this bike needs (or whats really wrong with it, look above for explatation), could be a simple fix. I will sell for $1500, which is what i bought it for, now that i have a few hundred more invested into it.

If anyone is seriously interested e-mail me or pm me and I will see what I can do about pictures. I live in upstate NY. About 40 minutes north of albany.

Thanks for basking in my sorrow with me everyone. I love you all.

Your friend is the only one shafting you in the bumb. it has nothing to do with the bikes, that is for sure. If I still lived in Rutland VT, I would offer to help you out. You arent too far away.

Your friend's "mechanic friends" are not mechanics. I have found that anyone who goes to school for 4 years can replace parts fast and reliably, but a "mechanic" can diagnose problems, and offer solutions other than replacing things. There is a BIG difference.

I really hope that you can find a REAL mechanic who can have a listen and give you some ideas before you totally let go of the idea of riding this season. It seems like a shame that such a dream would be so quickly ruined by incompetant people who call themselves "mechanics".

I used to hang out with a kid who rides a ZX-6RR. He put a micron pipe on his bike, and 2 days later he was leaking antifreeze. He called the dealer and scheduled an appointment to have it looked at. After shitting on him for an hour, I finally convinced him to look over the hoses, which are readily accessible. He came back 5 minutes later and reported that the clamp on the right hand side had come loose. He tightened it and poof... no more problem. He then made a statement about how he thought the exhaust had something to do with the loose clamp. I tried to explain to him that there was absolutly no way the exhaust could effect something on the radiator like that. He snapped at me that he knows for a fact that it would, because his 4-wheeler did the same thing. His 4-wheeler is an air cooled (no radiator) 300EX.

But wait... it gets better. Here is where you learn the difference between a real mechanic and a parts replacer. .. He is a technician for a GM dealership. He has worked there for 3 years.

These are the people you are currently dealing with. Dont. Find someone else.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I think I am just gonna sell my bikes and wait till next season. I am just really sick and tired, I have been dicking around with people for months now, and dont feel like it anymore, I no longer have the drive too. I will just wait for spring and buy a nice new reliable machine.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I think I am just gonna sell my bikes and wait till next season. I am just really sick and tired, I have been dicking around with people for months now, and dont feel like it anymore, I no longer have the drive too. I will just wait for spring and buy a nice new reliable machine.
I hear you... I walked into a dealership to get a new horn for my old '86ZX 600 that ran good, but always needed this or that.

I walked out with a brand new 7R, mostly because I just didn't feel like working on the 600 anymore. I too was sick of dicking around with it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Mate, keep your chin up and get one your bikes running.

Abuse the sh*t out of it before you buy your "new" bike. Better to learn on a crappy one.

Stop dealing with friends of friends of friends. Find a reliable mechanic and stick with him.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM

I can understand how you feel, guy. On one hand it is a great idea to buy cheap for the first bike, on the other hand, you want to ride it, not fix it all the time. Even harder if you are not mechanically inclined, or just don't have the experience and time to learn that shit.

I am currently working on a Honda enduro XL600R that I bought for $100. Killer deal, except that bike hasn't run for 12 years. There are a bunch of things I need to replace on it, and I really had to come up with a strategy for rebuilding, where I made a priority to spend as little as possible and really try to make sure the engine is not completely f****d. Once the engine runs, I can buy the chain, sprockets, brakes, and all other stuff that will let me actually take it on trips outside my neighborhood. Here is the deal, though: this is not my first bike. My first bike had some scratches, but otherwise was ready to ride. My friend wisely talked me out of a 'project' bike as my first one, because who knows when you can finally get it running right. You want something that will get you saddle time. That is the whole reason people get into motorcycles, right? You can have a second bike to dick around at your convenience, and then it is fun. But that way it has no impact on your ability to ride and get riding experience.

I'd suggest try to get rid of one of the bikes, get a working bike to zoom around on, and keep one for a project to dick with in the winter. Who knows, it may make a good track bike, if you ever decide to do that.

That's my , anyway...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Just a thought: Depending on where the Yamaha you got came from it could be that the carbs need to be rejetted for the correct altitude. I have a 92 FZR 600 in Colorado that ran like crap when I first got it. I took it straight to the shop and got it rejetted and the carbs rebuilt. It ran like a charm until April when I quit riding it cause I got my '05 R6. It still runs pretty good for a '92. I need to rebuild the front forks and give her some TLC (new gaskets and a good lube job) and then I am either going to sell or turn her into a track or stunt bike (not sure yet). But like everyone else is saying, find yourself someone who knows something about bikes. Car mechanics are great for cars, but someone who has been messing around with motorcycles for years can listen to a bike and tell you what's wrong with it almost.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Bringing the FZR to a mechanic is out of the question. A local dealership/repair shop quoted me at $1300 to do the transmission. I am pretty sure it isnt the carbs as the previous owner had just had them rebuilt and resync'd. I don't know about the "Can-o-Tuna". I don't think it is even worth my time, effort, or money for the rest of this season. It will start getting very cold, and perhaps even snowing (a few years it has) toward late october, so my season here is only about another month longer. With the time it would take to get a shop to repair it, and how much money I have (about none really) its just not worth it. I appreciate all the replies cause it is good to know someone cares. I was not really prepared this year anyway. I didn't really have the money I needed to get a decent bike, and I do not have any gear with the exception of a helmet. The times I road were in shorts and a teeshirt. Next spring will be better. I plan to get full leathers. My boss at work says it is an omen I am not ment to ride a bike. I shall prove him wrong.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:13 AM

Since you said that you didn't have gear yet, maybe it's an omen just to make you wait until you are really ready.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps. I got even more bummed out as I was driving home, I realized I already pre-payed for a full year of insurance on teh katana. $370 down the drain. Along with the $37 registration. I wonder if I can cancel my insurance and get the rest back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode