Avoiding/Dealing with Cops...Post Up Your Tips! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Avoiding/Dealing with Cops...Post Up Your Tips!

Ok, I'll start:

in no particular order

1. Pull over in a way that keeps the Cop SAFE from oncoming traffic. If you can, pull into the nearest parking lot, get him OUT OF TRAFFIC. There is NO NEED to endanger anyone simply because of a speeding ticket. They're just doing their job, keep the attitudes good, disagree, but disagree with a good attitude, take the fight to court.

2. Shut off your bike, put down your kickstand, and take off your helmet. You WANT to give the Cop visual cues that you're NOT going to bolt.

3. Get a radar detector. I can't tell you how many times it has saved my ass on the bike, or at the very least, brought my attention to the fact there might be a cop in the vicinity.

4. Pay attention. You can "make" most cops before they "make" you. Pay attention to cars that are braking up ahead, there's usually a reason, particularly if you see them go on just as they're entering a turn.

5. If you suspect an unmarked cruiser, try and get up beside him to look inside. Obviously, DON'T try to catch up with him if he's doing 80!

6. Generally, if asked by a cop, NEVER state your precise speed (unless you want to take the chance that "honesty" is going to pay off). Anything that comes out of your mouth WILL be used against you if you fight the ticket. The burden of responsibility lies upon the officer, he is the "complainant", it's up to him. Some lines I have used (and variations thereof) are:

REMEMBER: A good attitude is KEY. DO NOT get belligerent

"I was paying attention to my riding and the traffic around me, I don't constantly stare at my speedo."

"With traffic, why?"

"Within the speed limit."

If all else fails, "I don't know, but it was most certainly not unreasonable for the conditions..."

Make up what you want, it really doesn't matter, the point is to NOT give him concrete info from YOUR mouth.

Just never say something like, " 'about 80", because then the door shuts. In court, the Officer will say, "Defendant stated he was operating his vehicle at "about 80" miles per hour your honor", and if he's a prick, "Defendant stated he was operating his vehicle at a speed at about or in excess of 80 miles per hour your honor"

7. He will then likely say, "I got you on radar at 85mph". My usual response to this is, "No, I completely disagree." Again, DO NOT acknowledge any AGREEMENT as he's attempting to bait you into an indirect admission by agreeing with him. He may then go onto play this game where he says something like, "Well if you don't know how fast you were going, how do you know you weren't going 85mph?" to which I've actually said, "85 is excessive officer, I know what that speed feels like from track days, I was DEFINITELY not doing 85..." That's usually good for a pause, or smirk, from the Cop!

8. If you suspect a Cop is behind you, move into an adjacent lane, and fluctuate your speed. NEVER EVER stay in front of him, as he is likely PACING you.

9. If you're riding hard, and come up hard behind a cop, obviously, DON'T pass him. Hang around behind him at an angle. NEVER directly behind, as he can pace you. Fluctuate your speed as well to make his estimation more difficult.

If he slows down, YOU slow down, DO NOT pass him. If he slows to 25mph on the freeway, HE'S the one creating a dangerous situation, pull over into the break down lane if you can. More ammo for court.

10. Assuming you get a ticket, and you're going to fight it, go over it in detail. MOST cops don't write down what color helmet or jacket you were wearing, I HAVE gotten off, in an appeal hearing in front of a judge nonetheless, because the cop had to answer "I don't know" to both. It's also his burden to properly identify you beyond any reasonable doubt.

11. Most states require the varying types of cop radar be calibrated periodically. You CAN request when the last time the cop had the radar he "got" you with calibrated. Another angle of defense to pursue.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but this should get the ball rolling...

Last edited by Mystery Squid; 09-05-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:32 PM

lots of helpful tips, thx
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:01 PM

Keep your license plate where it's not visible (i.e. by the rear shock or use a pivot kit) and when a cop lights up, run!

oh shi controversy

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm a former cop. . . I know all the tricks, and you've got most of them here. . .

A couple big ones to also consider:

If it's a piece of equipment that they use. . .they HAVE to be qualified to use it. EVERYTHING, from their sidearm and wrist irons to their breathalizers and radar guns. Also. . ALL equipment must be calibrated.

If he's not qualified to use the radar gun, he's not allowed to use it, or one can say that he's not qualified to use it, so how can we be sure that he used it to correctly measure your speed.

Same thing goes for the speedo in his cruiser, if he's pacing you. Ask the last time that it was calibrated. Ask when the last time he took an updated qualification for his cruiser. It has to be DEPARTMENT ISSUED. His state issued DL doesn't count.

I WAS a cop, not anymore. I couldn't stand the politics and the fact that some of the people in my area were SO unprofessional.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:47 AM

Thanks, I didnt know about the quals. I try the too honest attitude most of the time. "Just tearing up the backroads having alittle fun, sir". Yet I was suprised how much just turning on the interior light and keeping hands on the steering wheel helps (in a cage).

Anywho, does faulty equipment protect your from a ticket (bad/non functioning speedo?)

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBelly
I'm a former cop. . . I know all the tricks, and you've got most of them here. . .

A couple big ones to also consider:

If it's a piece of equipment that they use. . .they HAVE to be qualified to use it. EVERYTHING, from their sidearm and wrist irons to their breathalizers and radar guns. Also. . ALL equipment must be calibrated.

If he's not qualified to use the radar gun, he's not allowed to use it, or one can say that he's not qualified to use it, so how can we be sure that he used it to correctly measure your speed.

Same thing goes for the speedo in his cruiser, if he's pacing you. Ask the last time that it was calibrated. Ask when the last time he took an updated qualification for his cruiser. It has to be DEPARTMENT ISSUED. His state issued DL doesn't count.

I WAS a cop, not anymore. I couldn't stand the politics and the fact that some of the people in my area were SO unprofessional.
Wow! Thanks! I never used a "calibration" defense, so I never got much into it other than the "gun" has to be calibrated, thanks for adding those new dimensions! Particularly the speedo on his cruiser, I doubt I would have thought of that one!!

As for the politics, I sort of know what you mean, I've been reading that book, "Blue Blood" by Ed Conlon... Gives the average non-cop layman like me a glimpse into what it's like...

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:18 AM

faulty equipment is not going to get you far... I used that once and the officer told me that it was my responsibility to have it fixed before I enter public roadways. Otherwise I choose to pay the price for it. He was nice enought to give me a warning and also let me make a few runs by his vehicle to calibrate my speedo. I had just changed my gearing and was off about 8%. Doesn't sound like much but I am one of those... speed limit is 35 I can get away with 40.... but 40 was really 43-44... which was enough for him to pull me over.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Thanks, I didnt know about the quals. I try the too honest attitude most of the time. "Just tearing up the backroads having alittle fun, sir". Yet I was suprised how much just turning on the interior light and keeping hands on the steering wheel helps (in a cage).
+1, and verbally stating your registration is in the glovebox as opposed to just "reaching" for it.

Quote:
Anywho, does faulty equipment protect your from a ticket (bad/non functioning speedo?)
Hell no. Unless the cop feels bad for you and gets the sense that you really aren't at fault because of it.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:29 AM

i have been told b4 that you can get a ticket for your speedo not working but thats in georgia....i also mounted a radar jammer on the front of my bike and it really wored of course if you're doing 140 it wont help you anyways
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 750babe
i also mounted a radar jammer on the front of my bike and it really wored of course if you're doing 140 it wont help you anyways
Which one did you get?

I've tried a few in the past, and found, for the most part, they're BS unless you're willing to spend several hundred bucks for the real deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode