Few Questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Few Questions

Hey guys im new here and had a few questions. I am 15 years old right now turning 15 and a half in a month and saw that you can get a permit when your 15 and a half and are allowed to ride a motorcycle during the day just not on the freeway or be able to ride anyone. I have been riding dirtbikes for 5 years and have ridden my dads streetbike a few times, so i am familiar with motorcycles and wouldn't have a problem riding. My question was I really like the sportbike look and feel and am not really interested in any other type of motorcycle, I was interested in getting a 600 (cbr) but my dad quickly shot down that idea with how much insurance would cost, so i was thinking would insurance say for a ninja 250 be very expensive for a 15 year old? If so is there any other sportbike-type bike that wouldn't have a high insurance cost? Thanks a lot

Last edited by bst278; 09-03-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 03:22 AM

I would suggest getting mid 90s 600 or 750 for less than 2 grand then have your dad insure it and get whatever accident coverage he deems necisary, but skip collision and comprehesive. This will really bring down the insurance cost but, not cover your bike for damages in the case of an accident, but hey the bike only cost 2 grand in the first place. Be careful . Im sure other will have different suggestions but thats my .

I would also highly suggest learning to drive a car on the road and getting a car licence before you persue a motorcycle. It is MUCH easier to concentrate on operating your motorcycle in traffic once you have already mastered the rules of the road and they come second nature to you after driving a car. Whatever you do its your decision though so just have fun and be safe.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 04:36 AM

Yes first of all get at least a year's experience of driving a car before you start seriously looking at m/cs. There is so much to learn out there as a cage driver & when you come to riding a m/c you will be shaken at what you did not realize as a car driver ONLY you will have a far better idea of the rules of the roads, what other drivers are like & such.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 09:43 PM

drive a car for a while first. get used to other driver's actions while you're a little safer on 4 wheels, then petition for a bike
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 04:53 AM

All good advice. Learn how to deal with "The rules of the road" before getting a sportbike. If your dirt bike is street legal stick with it for awhile. Learn how to drive/ride defensively.

Take the MSF course! And wear your gear!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:05 AM

not too familiar with Cali....but if you live in a small town (iron eagle the movie, for example) i'd say go for it, you can learn without the pressures of big-city driving and even race an airplane

j/k....but the older (or wrecked, rebuilt if it's cheap enough) is a good idea
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I agree w/everybody. Get something older, and possibly showing some damage. Because you're going to drop it. Nothing against you, but that's just how it works. Older=cheaper

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode