Geek My Ride - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Geek My Ride

All the doom and gloom people on TV say gas may never go below $3 a gal, and may spike to $10 a gal in shortage areas. So if I buy a used Honda Helix 250 to get around on I won't look like a total nerd. A Ninja 250 would be better. A KRL 250 gets good milage also. Lots of options to save gas for us two wheel fans. Ride our GSXRs more often, etc.

These gas prices will hurt our economy big time but maybe it will down size the cages out there. All the experts are talking 3 - 5 years to get more refineries up and running and to increase supplies, so no quick fixes. Bus ridership is way up in this town already. This hurricane is changing things.

It kills my soul to say this being a gasoline junkie all my life, but maybe it is time for some serious energy conservation. $4 - 5 a gal will do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 12:12 PM

I hate to say this, but americans are like "fuck it, whatever, i'll pay it". (yah, i'm a die hard american, did 8 yrs in the military, love the country, but it's the truth) Look at how much ciggs have gone up in price...when i was a kid, the local bowling alley had them for .75 a pack in a vending machine...now how much are they a pack...shit even the GUARANTEE that you'll die a horrible, slow debilitating death hasn't stopped people from smoking...saying this...I WILL ALWAYS OWN A 1/2 OR 3/4 TON TRUCK...so yah, I'm the same damn way...some kids from Ohio State had a battery car doing 315mph the other day...took 90 secs for it to get to speed...true, it only runs for those 90 secs b4 it drops it's charge...but that opens possibilities...now if they could make the same sound as my akro pipe

We need alternative vehicles...maybe not 100% replacement for combustion engines...but if 3/4 of the average citizen out there were to have this as a primary vehicle...ahhhh...fuck it...that'd drive gas prices even higher...lol;

THERE IS NO SOLUTION....REPENT SINNERS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I would like to see cagers accept motorcycles as a legitimate form of transportation rather than as recreational vehicles or toys. Motorcycles are used as basic transportation in the rest of the world mainly due to fuel prices and low operational costs. Maybe cagers wouldn't try to violate our right of way all the time if they started seeing a lot more riders.

But you are right. Like my sister, she has her Ford Explorer with the V-8 option that gets 12 mpg no matter what. No way in hell will she get rid of it.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 01:17 PM

I have a Genuine Stella 2 stroke scooter....does about 65mph and gets a little over 90mpg. People used to point and laugh but it's really fun to ride so I didn't care. Now people are asking where they can get this fuel efficient vessel.

The 2005 Genuine Stella is a 1978 Vespa PX150...EXACTLY the same except for a better engine. Scooterworks of Chicago founded the company who bought the old Vespa factory.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 01:24 PM

You can always get some late 70s standard issue Jap street bike for under a grand and get 40 mpg. They're fun and easy to ride too.

Sad thing is, if you do the math on it, it'd take an eternity for a $2000 vehicle purchased for fuel economy reasons to pay for itself. As much ass as it blows, it's cheaper to just pay the price for gas and curse, unless of course you're driving a hundred miles a day or something.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 02:41 PM

I think the popularity of the hybrids is a step in the right direction. However it seems like a small step. The hybrids barely double the gas mileage of a normal car and cost $3-4000 more than a normal car. A civic Hybrid is no less than $21k out the door and a normal civic is $17. You need to drive about 70,000 miles before you start saving money and thats not factoring in replacing the batteries.

After living in Los Angeles for 3 years I can say that the pollution is also a serious problem. I go to school here, luckily after this year I can get back to Washington State or somewhere similar where the smog doesn't burn my eyes.

We really need to give higher rewards for energy conservation so it becomes economical to save energy.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 04:50 PM

yeah unfortunately i prob wont have a new bike next year....so ill be drivin a lot

im sellin my mustang gt, v8

but im buyin a big lifted truck....

so i dont give a sh*t....just pay the money, inflations a bitch
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:23 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
You can always get some late 70s standard issue Jap street bike for under a grand and get 40 mpg. They're fun and easy to ride too.

Sad thing is, if you do the math on it, it'd take an eternity for a $2000 vehicle purchased for fuel economy reasons to pay for itself. As much ass as it blows, it's cheaper to just pay the price for gas and curse, unless of course you're driving a hundred miles a day or something.
Man, this post almost describes me perfectly. Got my old ride for $1k, gets 50mpg, and I ride >100mi per day.

Its cheap, cheap, cheap. And fun, fun, fun Damn I love riding.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 06:14 AM

They hybdrid movement seems like a band aid, or a way of saying "See we are doing something!"
Seriously, 70k miles to cover the extra expanse, and the battery situation is absurd. No one will say how long those batteries last. Figures run between 5 and 8 years, and replacement costs are around 2-5k. That makes the car economically impractical to me, but some may say that they still pollute less. Which is true, untill you start factoring that all those giant batteries that go bad, have to be disposed off too.

Face it guys, we have no good alternative to the internal combustion engine.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 06:23 AM

Hydrogen my friend, I give it less than 20 years before it is the thing to have, and hydrogen stations start replacing gas stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode