High Idle! Need Help Quickly! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

High Idle! Need Help Quickly!

First off let me apologize for posting this in the wrong forum but this forum gets the most viewers so I figured this was probably the best place for a quick response.

When I first bought my bike (94 katana 750) it would idle at a reasonable rpm when you first started it up, around 1500 or 2k. However after a little riding it would quickly start idleing at 5k at stop lights and in traffic. I heard from a few different people that the problem was most definatly the carborator. A buddy of mine just got done rebuilding the carborator, changing the oil, and changing the spark plugs. However when he started it up yesterday it was idling at about 3500 he said. He shut it off and messed with the idle switch, turned it about a quarter turn I believe, however now the bike doesnt want to start up according to him, and he cant seem to get to it start after messing with the idle (I believe the idle screw only works when it wants to). He said that the problem is not with the spark plugs because it gets a great arc. Hopefully the idle and throttle cable just need a little finese to get to the right place but anyone else have any ideas about where another problem could be occuring?

I am in such a rush becuase my road test is on thursday and I am afraid my bike wont even be running. I dont have anyone elses bike to use either. Please please help, I am in much distress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 08:04 AM

I had a bike that was hard to control the idle and it turned out ot be the choke cable. It was corroded and would hold the choke open. You might want to try lubing the cable. You can use a pressure luber bought at any automotive store along with a good can of lubricant/break free. I don't know for sure if that is what it is but it is a quick and easy check.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 08:20 AM

I dunno, but make sure none of the throttle cables are "sticking". If you do get it to start, turn the handlebars all the way to the left, then right, and see if the idle changes in any way. My first reaction is "throttle cable"...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I don't think its either of those but I will tell my buddy so he can rule them out. Just because the rpms will go down when you turn the choke off in the morning, but again, maybe it is still getting stuck somewhere. For the throttle cable sticking I never had a problem when I was riding it around, but ill get it checked out. Thanks guys, keep the suggestions comming.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Bump, probably against the rules but I need help . Where is vash when you need him, he is my hero...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode