Kill switch during a laydown? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Mr.E
Kill switch during a laydown?

Hey everyone, yes it seems ive been gone for a long time (yes I have) but I am trying to figure out if a bike as old as mine has a kill switch when its layed over. there is now mention of one in the kawi service manual. i just got my bike put back together tonight and took it out for a test spin and dropped it in the driveway. You would have to see my driveway to fully understand how this happened, its that bad... But after standing it back up the dashpod lights up and thumbing ths starter dims the light and it clicks, but no fire. The bike is an 87 Kawi ninja 750R, now i have dropped it one other time and this did not happen, and even after disconnecting the battery and re-installing, nothing. even charged it for a few hours. And this after it was running like a top in the garage a few minutes earlier. any ideas?

thanks

-e

"If you're going to be bad, at least be good at it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:49 PM

The tip over switch should reset itself once the bike is stood back up. All you have to do is turn it on... count to five, and turn it off. Turn it back on and you should be good to go. But it doesn't sound like thats the problem. Its def a loose wire somewhere. Check your plug wires and your starter ground and things like that. One of them mught have gotten jarred loose. Can't really think of anything else. Sorry man. Good luck to you though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:53 PM

I know some people aren't going to approve of this, but I've done it plenty of times on my old '86ZX600R with no bad result:

Get some jumper cables on that thing and hook it up to your car. You'll know REAL quick whether or not to eliminate the battery as a possible problem.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 PM

+1 Those batteries are fragile. If it is damaged, it may produce enough power to run the lights, but not enough to start the bike.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

So now ive tried a different battery, traced wires everywhere, tested the starter, bypassed the solenoid, but still the same thing.

my bro thinks the engine is locked up, and at this point its the only thing left that remotely makes sense

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 08:17 AM

Try "pop-starting" it, then you'll know if the engine is "locked"...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

You mean like rolling it off? we tried that as well and just managed to dump it on its side again. another friend of mine suggested maybe its hydrolocked by the fuel over the cylinders and to try removing the spark plugs and rolling it around to see if its still siezed, so i figure its worth a shot........

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:06 PM

When you hit the starter, and it clicks, do the battery cables get HOT? If so, the starter gear might be locked up, and motor is bound. If not, its probably the starter solenoid.

My bike is a 97 Kawi ZX-7R. My starter solenoid fails to engage sometimes, so I have to tap it firmly just after I press the starter button. This also seems to be dependent on batter state. If it is fresh, it works fine. If it is run down slightly, it doesn't engage.

Pull the spark plugs, then tap the starter. If it was hydro locked, it will spray fuel out of the spark plug holes very quickly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok, heres the latest, removed the spark plugs, try to roll in in 5th gear, and nothing. weve bypassed all the solenoids, and switches, and still nothing. engine appeares to be locked up tight. I need know where the crank nut is to roll the engine over by hand. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode