Ride Gestures - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Ride Gestures

I apologize if there has already been a topic posted about this.

When I was on the freeway today a guy on an R6 tapped his helmet twice and pointed forward. Hindsight I think he was telling me that there was a cop ahead.

Are there any ride gestures that I should know about (I am new)? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:26 PM

well i'm not sure about that but when i tap my helmet and point to a guys its because i'm pissed off about my insurance rates going up because that jack ass isnt wearing anything but sunglasses.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:47 AM

Left index finger tapping the side of the helmet means "THINK!" and is usually proceeded by shaking of head/helmet.

Then I do the "pull phone off ear & slam down" gesture when people are oblivious to traffic and talking on their cell phone pulling into my lane.

The I use my middle finger as well...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 AM

Tapping the helmet is ussually a way to get your attention. sort of like "request to send" followed by "be on the look out" (pointing ahead) ussually this means cops.
Other common signals
Palm flat, hand low, moving up and down. slow down
Tapping gas tank - need fuel
Leg pointed out to one side- hazzard on that side of the road (gravel or dead animal)
Both legs pointed out - hazzard over the entire lane
Finger pointed to either side - Going to change lanes, this is the spot I'm going for. Most after market turn signals arent nearly bright enough so this helps
Hand in a fist pointed up at an elbow- going to stop, ussually by leader to the followerd.
Hand wrapped around an imaginary can, moving toward helmet- want to stop for a drink?

Thats all the ones I can think of at the moment

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:10 AM

also putting your leg out to either side of your bike, changing lanes...usually on interstate
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:27 AM

Palm flat making a lifting motion up and down (usually done by cagers) = do wheelie.

\m/ Metal sign made in above mentioned motion = do spreader

tapping helmet on top then pointing = police over there

waving at waste level motioning aroud yourself (often done to cagers) = go around me dickhead so you can get the ticket!

There a ton of them. But you get the point. all pretty much common sense
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:35 PM

I had my girl on the back one day and looked down at our shadow, stretching away to the left. I though it would make a great photo, so I held out my left hand as though I was holding a camera, pushing the shutter button with my index finger.

Try it.

Somehow, my girl took that to mean, "Snake".

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 07:57 AM

Not a hand signal, but around here we usually just flash the high beams a few times to let others know about police ahead.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffmorton
Not a hand signal, but around here we usually just flash the high beams a few times to let others know about police ahead.
Would you believe that's actually illegal here?! Doesn't stop anyone, but I've seen people get pulled over for it.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:14 PM

It's illegal around here too. Although we also don't seem to pay much attention to it.

I think it should be illegal to have cops pose as construction workers in construction zones! If they were that interested in safety, wouldn't they make themselves as obvious as possible to slow people down? No they just want to write those double fine tickets. And lots of them. Or motorcycle cops at intersections HIDING behind some cars or a building so they can chase down some light runners. Geeze it's all just about the money! Isn't it? Sorry about the rant.

I'll stick my leg out to warn people behind me about stuff in the road. Also use the stop signal alot. Then point if it's something (deer) off to the side. I'll also point AT other people just to get their attention. Sometimes it works.... Sometimes it doesn't.

When it comes to riding on the roads TRUST NO ONE!!!!!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode