How do I convince the parentals!? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

How do I convince the parentals!?

Hey I'm going to get a motorcycle soon and I'm 16, but my parents are a bit uneasy.
They are all for it but recently they have been changing there minds about it. It was probably because TWO motorcyclists died on a nearby road called the "Jalama" if any of you know (if so please comment on the difficulty). Its hard trying to convince MYSELF if motorcycling is worth DYING over. I know many of you don't wanna think about getting killed while motorcycling but its a chance thats preety damn large. Every week somebody has died on a motorcycle, and sometimes its more than just one person. How am I supposed to convince my parents, and mySELF for that matter, that I want to ride? I love the feeling of motorcycling ever since my friends dad let me ride on the back of his ducati when I was 8, but I'm starting to rethink things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:25 PM

I'd say it's safe to say that most accidents are because of idiots riding beyond their limits, sorry to those who have gone to another plane of existance, but i'm a hardcore dick (and a realist).
True, some get killed by ignorant (literally ignorant of our prescence) cagers. If you can convince them (and most importantly, yourself) that you are a responsible rider (may have to start out on a 500 ninja or something) than maybe you have a shot...best of luck to ya, wear your gear, dont EVEN THINK of stunting without gear or in a traffic situation if you absolutely have to stunt...and for GOD'S SAKE...BE CAREFUL!!1

keep the rubber side down, Mike
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:29 PM

You should be afraid. In the respect that you should always be aware that you are more vulnerable on the road. My advice would be to take an MSF beginner course. They provide the bikes. If you want to ride after that and you are confident enough, I would suggest starting out on something small, ie 250cc, and work on what you've learned.

By taking the course would show your parents that you are taking the initiative to be a safe rider.

Oh yeah don't forget your gear.

John B.
I could stop if I wanted to.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

THanks for the replys. I hear one of the main ways motorcyclists get themselves into accidents is when they panic mid turn, which is a hard habit to break. Of course its gonna be scary, so people are gonna mess up at least once mid turn and go over the handlebars, right? Thats how all these people die - flying over the handle bars into a tree, or into the grill of a car. Instant death. Kinda scary taking my chances because reading these boards thats how alot of people fall - mid turn when they panic and realize they wont be able to make it without either braking or speeding up (almost everyone brakes because its instinct and takes at least once messing up to break the habit).
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:18 PM

Most motorcycle accidents involving only the rider are a result of the rider entering the turn too hot. It's only scary if you're riding above your limits. Otherwise, it's an exhilarating adrenaline rush.

And braking midturn only becomes habit if you start doing it when you start riding. You should do all your braking before entering the turn while steady on the throttle then once you reach the apex begin rolling on.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 PM

The fact that you are second guessing weather or not to ride says that you really understand the dangers of riding. This fear is really useful as it has served me well. Things I've learned have been:
1. Cagers are stupid and will do exactly what you don't want them to.
2. DON'T look at what you DON'T want to hit.
3. Go to a "bike night" in your area and talk to the people there. They are gald to share their war stories and what they could have done to avoid them. Learn from their mistakes.
4. Don't be a
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 04:46 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Si-lo
You should be afraid. In the respect that you should always be aware that you are more vulnerable on the road. My advice would be to take an MSF beginner course. They provide the bikes. If you want to ride after that and you are confident enough, I would suggest starting out on something small, ie 250cc, and work on what you've learned.

By taking the course would show your parents that you are taking the initiative to be a safe rider.

Oh yeah don't forget your gear.
Follow these suggestions and you'll quickly discover whether you want to continue or not.

Then follow-up with proper riding gear which you should ALWAYS wear. I know, I know, in the teenage years peer pressure is incredible. Just do you damndest to always have it on.

Would your mom and/or dad take the MSF with you? It can be a great bonding experience and then you'd have riding partners! This would be the ideal.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:11 AM

Start out with a cheap dirt bike if you can. There should be some sort of riding area within a short distance from you. Get comfortable in a more forgiving environment. At the same time log some miles on the highway in a car and practice good street riding techniques while in your car.

These would include proper spacing, anticipation of other drivers, always being observant to your surroundings.

Personally it would really be hard for me to suggest to someone whom has never ridden before to start out on a street bike. Back in the day everyone started out in the dirt, but now it seems its more the exception then the norm with new riders.

Whatever you decide, know that the fear you have is good. Assume the cars out there either dont see you or if they do they are going to try and hit you.

The day you lose fear while on your bike is the day the danger really begins.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:12 AM

I'm 30, and still not allowed to have a bike!!! Whenever the parents come to visit (they live in Scotland) I take the bikes to a friends house for 2 weeks while they're here. They have no idea that I have one....or 2.

Being that you're 16, this method probably won't work for you.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crescent Fresh
I'm 30, and still not allowed to have a bike!!! Whenever the parents come to visit (they live in Scotland) I take the bikes to a friends house for 2 weeks while they're here. They have no idea that I have one....or 2.

Being that you're 16, this method probably won't work for you.
thats hilarious, literally, haha i could see my mom doing that too...

anyways, im 19, i got my first street bike when i was 18, but i have had my endorsement since i was 16 (used a demo sv650 from a shop) anyways, my parents were NOT into me getting a bike cause they know i take risks. but i assured them i was careful blah blah

so i bought a bike, they were okay with it, put it in their name for insurance. everything went good, i had a rf900r....

then i sold it and bought a zx6r. had that for 2 months. i was gettin really good at wheelies n stuff....ended up loopin tryin a 12....totalled the bike....parents mad.....drop me off insurance and say that if i get another bike, they will drop me off car insurance too (i drive a brand new mustang, so thats not a good thing)

moral to the story is
#1 if you put trust in your parents, they will trust you. i took my mom for a ride, and she saw that i could handle it well
#2 ALWAYS wear gear, atleast jacket and thick jeans pref riding jeans
#3 do NOT go above your limits to begin with, i was practicing wheelies for 2 hours a day almost for 2 months straight and did that.
#4 take it easy in corners to begin with, you will get the feel over time and eventually be able to take them really well and have low lean angle and everything, thats the best feeling on a motorcycle
#5 just be careful and have fun, def do that MSF course

btw my parents and i actually had a "contract" that like i had to keep over a certain gpa in college to have the bike, and if i crashed due to my fault it was gone (hence why one of my zx6r's is sold, and the other one is selling on ebay right now). i would suggest maybe offering them that you keep over like a 3.0 in high school, or sumthin like that, give them some sort of incentive of letting you have the bike, it works a lot, ive been manipulating my parents since i was 2, and this is the first time it backfired on me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode