Why you should ride an uncomfortable bike... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Red face Why you should ride an uncomfortable bike...

I was observing some cruiser guys this evening, merrily putting around on their hogs. They looked mighty comfortable, maybe a little too comfortable, then it hit me, I think I might actually rather ride a bike that's slightly uncomfortable, then to be sooo comfortable, that my attention might be tempted to drift from the actual business of riding itself. I'm sort of a tall guy, and I'll be the first to admit riding the 7R for any extended period of time, is a bit uncomfortable, or rather, not as comfortable as, let's say, a late model VFR. I think I might consider that a good thing in many respects, for it's safe to say I never really "forget" I'm riding it, no real such thing as "leaning back and relaxing".

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this up, maybe it can offer a different perspective to someone trying out various bikes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 PM

Of course, being uncomfortable can be very exhausting, so you may find you'll get tired more quickly.

A work collegue has a Suzuki cruiser and he tells me that, on long rides, his back get incredibly sore. You see, on a cruiser, your a**e and spine have to absorb any bumps, whereas we can take some of that shock in our legs.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:14 PM

The fact that I'm not surrounded by metal and glass is enough for me to not "forget" that I'm riding.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 04:46 AM

The few cruisers I've ridden did not proove to be very comfortable.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:14 AM

Too me the most comfortable bikes are those with a bit of a sporting position with even weight distributed between your legs and butt.

Thats why I love my ZZR so much and will probably always choose a sport bike with less aggressive ergos then some sort of couch on wheels.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Of course, being uncomfortable can be very exhausting, so you may find you'll get tired more quickly.

A work collegue has a Suzuki cruiser and he tells me that, on long rides, his back get incredibly sore. You see, on a cruiser, your a**e and spine have to absorb any bumps, whereas we can take some of that shock in our legs.
True, but I'm talking something a little more subtle. Not sooo comfortable that it's conducive to "slacking off", but just enough to "remind" you you're still painting a masterpiece... so to speak...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
The few cruisers I've ridden did not proove to be very comfortable.
I've ridden some Honda/Kawi cruisers (mostly bikes from the 70's though), and they were REALLY comfortable.... While I will admit that many cruisers don't look THAT comfortable given the way they're built (particulary those OCC types where you have to bend your back and extend your arms to grip what they call a handlebar), I see a fair amount (Harley Sportster? I really don't know Harley nomenclature) that sure as heck look comfy, where the rider doesn't seem to be crammed or over extending, just sort of sitting back enjoying the ride... I see that alot with BMW bikes too, but I suppose that's not a surprise...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Strength and Honor

While discussing a future new bike, my wife asked why I wasn't considering cruisers. My response was that the aggressive seating position kept me focused on what's in front of me and kept my interest.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:14 AM

i hate the way cruisers ride....they vibrate too much
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM

So you been riding at all or what?

You're right....the VFR is a pretty damn comfortable bike. I've never started really daydreaming on a motorcycle like I have in a car, so I don't know a cruiser would be more dangerous because of that....it's the rider's fault if that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode