Eating up Oil - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Eating up Oil

My bro in law just picked up his Kawasaki Zepher 750 and rode it home on a 6 hour trip. The bike burns up oil much faster than it should. What could cause this? It seems to be leaking out of the engine also. I assume its some seal that is broken but not sure which one or where to start. It would be a help if someone could point us in the right direction. Thanks

Guess I should change my name, not a poser anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 05:31 PM
RC51Matt

OIL?

Sounds like someone has been in the lower end of the bike....good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Hi Big_Poser:

Can he park the motorcycle with lots of newspaper spread beneath it to determine the source of the oil leaks? That would be a good start.

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Dad

The two most likely areas for a leak from sloppy work are the valve cover from a valve adjustment or a clutch cover from a clutch replacement. Make that three, oil drain gasket or filter.

Next possibility is from a spill and could be either side crankshaft end covers. Clean it up and see what you can find.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:53 PM

I have owned a '93 Zephyr 1100 since new. Make sure the motor has not been over filled with oil, even a little. That will appear as a mysterious oil leak. Try changing the oil and make sure you measure accurately the oil volume you add. Make sure you have the owner's manual or the factory service manual to find out the oil capacity with and without an oil filter change. I am not sure about the 750 but the 1100 has two oil plugs, if you remove only one then the volume of oil you add is slightly less.

The "burning" issue is vague. Could be the rings, that is my best guess with what little information you have provided. Those motors are pretty durable, however, but if someone mistreated it, it won't matter how hardy the motor is, it can still fail.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
I have owned a '93 Zephyr 1100 since new. Make sure the motor has not been over filled with oil, even a little. That will appear as a mysterious oil leak.
Any chance that bike has a sight window and level is being checked on the sidestand?

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM

It has a sight window. I don't use it , as it is easier to just carefully measure the oil being put in, other than to confirm the level between oil changes.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode