Stupid Noob Question.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Stupid Noob Question....

I have only been riding for five days. Before this bike, my only experence is a handful of hours on a dirt bike, three-wheeler and, four wheeler. None over 250. Enough back ground, now for the question.

Can riding with pain in my wrist (everytime I cluctch) cause perment injury like "carpel tunnel"? The second day of the injury, after riding, it ached all night and I had almost no strength in it. Everyday after that, it would hurt a little less after riding. I know I should just let it heal and stay off the bike for a while but I JUST CAN'T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 09:19 AM

This is most common to those starting to hit the roads ESPECIALLY on sportbikes due to the lean forward riding position. So you have to put more work into your legs,knees & abs to taking some of the totaly weight strain of your wrists presently.

If you go to a gym then start working on your forearms shoulders & hands to develope more power & get to using the leg press. Sure I know your rode trikes & ATVs in the dirt, but it is different.

I could say more, but time for me to hike it off to the gun club to open the range for h/gun shooting being something I do every Sunday & Tuesday of every week of the year. You get hand work there as well when handeling 38s, 9mm, & 45s.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 AM

Did the injury occur because of using the clutch or was it something else non-bike related and it just also hurts when you use the clutch?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 09:50 AM

Ive only bee riding a month or so, at first my wrists would get sore( due to bad technique, and using the clutch to much to practice downshifts etc.) As time goes on, your wrists get a lil more tollerance for the grab- let go-grab that happens when riding.

I also found that using all 4 fingers makes it less annoying, but i feel i have more control with just 2, so i just use 2 and eat the small amount of pain.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys! I am not sure when the actual injury happened, I just noticed a little swelling and then it started hurting. I thought that maybe I was putting to much weight on it so I guess I'll just try to find a different riding position. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope this goes away with time.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 10:56 AM

try to keep your arms parallel to the ground, as horizontal as possible. this way, your elbows won't be locked and you wouldn't be supporting your weight on the bars. I know it seems natural sometimes and you can't help it, but only time your arm should be straightened is when you're shifting your weight on the rear for front braking. shift all that weight to knees on gripping the tank.

I get all sort of cramps in my legs and feet, but never from wrists, butt, or shoulder/back muscles. I used to get wrist pain until I learned to adapt. keeping much weight off the bars also gives you the best way to steer the bike.

as smitty said, you'll need a lot of lower body workout mostly for endurance, and adding upper body workout never hurts either.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Just got back from the h/gun range thumping off a lot of ammo in a small competition. So the fingers & hands get used a lot.

Still noted I forgot to mention that you also want to put your back muscles into work & natch that is a MUST exercise at the gym as well.

I do not have a normal thumb or finger on my two hands as they have been messed up a lot in competition along with being a farmer.

So another thought is is you do not glue your butt to the saddle & then thurst all the rest down to the poor wrists.

Also look at it this way I am 75 yrs of age with 59 yrs of riding which includes 42 yrs of tough competition. So if I can do it so can you. To also mention that in the riding weather I will hit the main mountain roads (that means lots of bends, ups & down with very few staight sections & most will be two-lane with a few four lane sections) here in B.C. Cdn around 4 to 6 days of the week & clock a nice ride, at some darn good speeds, with many twisties that can many anything from 4 to 8 hrs of riding tht day.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:36 PM

Hi djh0102-

Virtually all athletic injuries will benefit from the R.I.C.E. treatment principle:
  • Rest
  • Ice
  • Compression
  • Elevation
Also check to see if there could be other aggravating factors like sports, repetitive motion at work, excessive typing, etc., that could be problematic. If you can carefully do those four things both before and after riding you'll likely eliminate most of the pain...especially if you take an over-the-counter anti-inflamatory medicine upon your return.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
...especially if you take an over-the-counter anti-inflamatory medicine upon your return.

~ Blue Jays ~
Like?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Hi djh0102-

The most efficient ones seem to be Aleve (Naproxen sodium) or Tylenol (Acetaminophen) for simple pain. You could take plain old generic aspirin and simultaneously obtain the cardiac benefits of this well-proven and safe drug.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode