time for suspension rebuild? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

time for suspension rebuild?

bike is a 2001 gsxr 1000 with 14,500 miles on it, within the last couple days I've noticed it rides very rough over bumps/cracks and is a little noisier. I've already checked tire pressure. iIt feels more like it's the front end that's riding really rough, but could be both front and rear. forks are not leaking oil. at what age to suspension components generally require a rebuild, and how much would I expect to pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Of course your bike needs new suspension...It needed new suspension almost from the first day it rolled out the shop.

One of the least durable components of a modern bike are the dampers. Rears generally tend to start losing it after as little as 10k miles, but forks last a good bit longer.

But before you start knocking over 7-11s to pay for a new set of Ohlins, try this - change your fork oil. Fresh oil will make you feel like you're riding a brand new bike. It's a pretty simple thing to do, provided you have a stand capable of lifting your front end off the ground by the bottom of the steering head.

I would guess that the dealer would charge you about $100 or so for this.
If you're not comfortable with removing wheels and brakes, best let them do it.

I'd recommend that before you spend any money, you scan the 'How do I' section of this board for 'suspension', and follow the suspension setup procedures you will find. They'll seem a little complicated at first, but there are thousands of riders here to help out. Could be that's all you need to do, compensate for wear and thinning oil in the dampers.

Last edited by Rundog; 08-22-2005 at 12:38 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:00 AM

I would suggest taking your bike to a professional and getting him to set up your suspension. It costs around $25 around here, and it is the most important thing you can have done performance wise to your bike. There was a world of difference in the handling of my bike and my confidence after I had my suspension set up!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM

Hi Unas_the_Slayer:

Did you modify your suspension or did you just have a professional suspension technician dial-in the correct settings for your weight, rebound, sag, and all that kind of stuff?

It seems that forks can be done MUCH more inexpensively than rear suspension. I have to have suspension work done on my bike, but I believe I'm going to do it in "stages" so the cost can be spread over a couple months. Some of those prices can knock your socks off!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:12 PM

I didn't install any aftermarket suspension parts, I just had them adjust the stock suspension. When I bought the bike, the old owner said that he had adjusted the suspension for him (170lbs) which is about what I weigh, so that's why I never bothered to get my suspension adjusted even though I've been to the shop where they do it a few times (it's a well known local shop that gets business even from surrounding states). Apparently the guy wasn't a professional and didn't really adjust it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode