Cutting a car in half - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Cutting a car in half

I know that in the past some have suggested that speeding really only endangers the rider. Because I had no evidence or anecdotes to disagree, I simply avoided a response.

Finally my wife ran across this bit of information showing how a motorcyclist can take down car passengers with their selfishness.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Hi kanwisch-

The motorcycle in the pictures is in remarkably good condition for having violently slammed into a slow-moving vehicle at 155 m.p.h. (250 k.p.h.) according to the accompanying story. I wonder if the Swedish authorities rebuilt the motorcycle to make it a bit more "recognizable" to attendees?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 AM

While spectacular, this is a very uncommon accident.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
I wonder if the Swedish authorities rebuilt the motorcycle to make it a bit more "recognizable" to attendees?

~ Blue Jays ~
Yeah, they did. One of the first lines in the article:

"On completion of their investigations, the Swedish Police had this vehicle & bike "cleaned out" and put it back together to show what can happen in a motorcycle accident."

Yikes.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 10:10 AM

They may have put some of it back together, but the front is still completely mangled and torn to shit.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 10:39 AM

Hi spicerke-

Yes, I caught that sentence in the story...but portions of the bike seem to be in absolutely FANTASTIC shape. Look at that rear wheel, or seat, or exhaust canister, or rear fairing.

My point is that some of those parts don't look like they have ever been exposed to a crash. If you launch a motorcycle through a car at 155 m.p.h. very few of the parts would be much larger than a deck of playing cards. Are the Swedish authorities not being completely truthful...but trying to make something more emotionally impactful?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Hi spicerke-

Yes, I caught that sentence in the story...but portions of the bike seem to be in absolutely FANTASTIC shape. Look at that rear wheel, or seat, or exhaust canister, or rear fairing.

My point is that some of those parts don't look like they have ever been exposed to a crash. If you launch a motorcycle through a car at 155 m.p.h. very few of the parts would be much larger than a deck of playing cards. Are the Swedish authorities not being completely truthful...but trying to make something more emotionally impactful?

~ Blue Jays ~
What seems to be missing is if the car or rider was to blame for the accident. Because there is no statement indicating that the rider was to blame (as I'm sure there would be if the rider really were to blame), one might be able to logically conclude that the driver failed to yield, possibly running whatever control signal was at the intersection and causing the crash.

Dumb to be running those kinds of speeds in areas where there is cross-traffic, nonetheless.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:14 AM

At that speed, I'm pretty certain the rider is to blame. 2 seconds prior to collisions the rider would have been 440ft(150m) away from the intersection. There is no way the car could have seen him in order to yield.
However where are the car doors? At first I thought this scene was inordinarily spectacular, for shock value, but as bluey mentioned it, it looks abit staged.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:34 AM

Kinetic energy is 1/2 times the mass times the square of the velocity. I calculate 560,000 ft-lbs of energy, assuming the weight of the bike and rider was 700 pounds. (Divide 700 by 32 to get the MASS). I'm suprised therewasn't more damage at one-half million ft-lbs of energy.

This is why the 120 mm main gun on the Abrams tank shooting a depleted uranium round at 4,000 f/s can penetrate 10 feet of reinforced concrete and still kill an armored vehicle. Speed kills.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Dad

Locally, at the intersection in front of the grade school I attended, a ZX-10 hit the driver's door of a VW Rabbit, buried itself about halfway through the car and flipped it on it's side. The driver of the car was killed, the guy on the bike walked away with severe road rash after clearing the car and landing several hundred feet down the road. It was a 35 MPH residential road and a traffic light controlled intersection. They estimated his speed at something big although I don't recall the exact numbers.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode