Bike Worth Shipping? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Bike Worth Shipping?

I may be relocating from Boston to San Francisco. Not knowing what bike shipping costs are, I wonder if it's worth sending my VFR or selling it here, and getting a new bike once I get settled? While I will be getting reimbursed for most moving expenses, vehicles are not included.

The bike is a 2000 with about 18K on it. It is set up for touring with Corbin bags and saddle, throttlemeister, etc.

Anyone know what it would cost to ship a bike cross-country?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 AM

Hi Bonk!-

Shipping is generally based upon weight, so you might wish to inquire whether your motorcycle can be put into the truck if all fluids and battery are removed and it is classified as a "collectable" rather than a vehicle. If you'll be filling a whole truck, you'll be in even better shape to negotiate this.

If you'll be driving your own vehicle across the country, you could always use this opportunity to purchase yourself a motorcycle trailer!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Hey - you leave my weight out of this.

Thanks for the input - we will be filling more than one truck (much to my dismay). My wife will be selling her car and buying a new one out there but I will be, in fact, driving my truck cross-country. However, I'd rather avoid having anything in tow for a bunch of reasons. I'll ask the movers about sliding the bike on one of the trucks if there is space.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:23 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Just the cost of gas, food, and hotels if you ride it. You said it's set up for touring, so tour away!

I honestly don't know the cost of shipping, but wouldn't imagine it would be too bad. I shipped a car from Puerto Rico to New Jersey and it was about $500-$600 I think. If anyone quotes you anywhere near that I'd walk away. Personally I don't think I'd pay more than a couple hundred bucks for shipping a bike cross-country.

Then again, for a 3000 mile trip at about $2.50/gal on a 45 mpg bike, you're looking at a couple hundred dollars in gas. Assuming 5 days to ride, you've got 4 nights of hotels. At $50 you're looking at $200, plus a guess of $30 a day for five days for food you get up to $600 pretty fast. For my money though, I know which would be more fun.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately with all that's going on (selling a house, moving cross-country, buying a house, two new jobs, etc.) I can't really take the time to plan a trip then motor to CA. Some day I'll do it, but this isn't the time. I'm torn because I like this bike but I can also see myself on a new 'Bird. I guess I am looking to rationalize leaving the Viffer behind!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Hi Bonk!-

You're moving across the country, selling a house, buying a house, securing two new jobs, and dealing with the stress of being away from your familiar life? Do you REALLY think your spouse would let you go out a purchase a new toy in the midst of all that? Don't put yourself into the situation that you don't have a motorcycle because you might find yourself waiting a very long time for the replacement to materialize in your garage. Like months, if not years.

I've shipped cars to the west coast for family for roughly $600 door-to-door. The shipping won't be a huge number. Keep your bike with you and decide to purchase a new one when the dust settles out there.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - buying a new one really isn't an issue though since the new jobs are in hand and are the reason we're moving. Hell, she's getting a new BMW! I'm leaning towards this - if the movers will put it in one of the trucks I'll move it, if not then I'll put it up for sale.

Last edited by Bonk!; 08-12-2005 at 07:54 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:53 AM

Sounds like someone's got an excuse to get a new toy...

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:22 AM

Welp, I get my bike shipped to and from Florida from Boston every year, and it's about $450. Expect to pay anywhere from that up to about $7 or 800, depending upon how fast you want to get it there... Generally, the quicker, the more expensive. There are plenty of independents out there offering good deals, so search around the internet. That's how I found my shipper, door to door Boston to Tampa runs $450, although it takes about a week, however he does not do coast to coast, only eastern US. Conversely, I've used www.forwardair.com in the past, they'll get your bike almost anywhere in the U.S. in 2 days, except you have to get the bike out to one of their locations and secure it within a crate. Costs more, but is faster...

Last edited by Mystery Squid; 08-12-2005 at 08:29 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:27 AM

Hi Bonk!-

Your preference appears that you're hoping the movers will "shoot you down" regarding transportation of your current bike.

It sounds like you both have very good jobs if you're handling all these changes and simultaneously purchasing new BMW automobiles. If that is the case, strike while the iron is hot. Simply research a dealership near your new California home and purchase the motorcycle NOW while your spouse is all excited about her new car. Have them prep it so you can pick it up upon arrival.

Tell her that restrictions (fuel, oil, coolant, insurance, packaging costs, etc.) about moving the motorcycle with the other household goods made it an unwise fiscal decision. Tell her you've sold it and simply applied the money to an updated machine with enhanced safety features.

I don't necessarily agree with the advice I've just given you about dealing with your wife, but as a woman I know how we tick. You sound inclined to migrate away from the bike anyway, so you might as well do it with minimized resistance.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode