Help with NADA vs. KBB - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Desert-Lad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Help with NADA vs. KBB

OK, as Dr. Phil would say, I am stupefied! My neighbor's kid wants to sell his 1999 EX 250, 9k miles, pretty good condition.

KBB retail is $1955. NADA has average retail at $1135. Why the huge discrepancy? Which guide is or should be followed, etc. I thought NADA were the dealer trade-in values but it says retail. as usual. Thanks.
JayaS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Let me modify my question. I am aware of the KBB private party value. But let's say a dealer wants $2k for the 1999 EX 250 and NADA says it is around $1100. Would someone get screwed paying close to $2k? I'm still not sure about what price guide a buyer should use.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Here are NADA and KBB retail prices:

NADA 1999 Kawasaki EX 250 F-13

Low Retail Average Retail

$865 $1,135

KBB 1999 Kawasaki EX250-F13 Ninja R

Suggested Retail Value $1955

Are there any motorcycle dealers on this board who can explain this difference? There must be some reason. Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 08:30 PM

The kbb retail is often higher on older bikes. Also, that is probably the high retail price where as the nada is the more average price. I would say the bike should be around $1800 at a dealer or $1200-1500 buying from a private party. My local dealer was selling them brand new for $2800. later
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm seeing dealer and private party prices for 250 Ninja's that are way over both KBB and NADA. And what's anoying is that they are getting these higher prices. I agree that $1500 for a very nice 1999 250 would be about right. This kid started at $2300 and won't go below KBB Retail. I'll look elsewhere.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 11:04 AM

They're just guides, and often aren't very accurate compared to what counts, which is market value.

You may want to call a local bank or insurance agent and ask them which guide they use for loans and insurance claims. For example in MA NADA is the standard.

The bike's probably worth more than $1200. You've got to research how much they're selling for...check Ebay under "completed listings" at 250's and see what people are paying for them. Check ads, dealers, ect., and you'll get an idea what they're worth.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 02:54 AM

After googling through various motorcyle websites and comparing both kbb and nada, there is no clear view regarding who is more accurate. Both looks good for me, but the price statistics assumed by nada is fairly low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode