Prescription visors - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Prescription visors

I know there have been prescription goggles available for a while, and that got me thinking... is there such a thing as a prescription visor?

(FYI I am talking about "vision correction" when I say prescription.)

I am damn sick of stuffing my glasses in my helmet when I go riding at night. The frames are all tweeked to **** now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 06:49 AM

I know oakley made some perscription stuff for awhile but i would opt with contacts.. Prolly alot cheaper.. Think how much ur glasses costs then imagine putting that little spot on the whole shield..

Ive never heard of perscription visors but everything is possible..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:20 AM

I don't think perscription visors would work. You would end up with a tremendous amount of distortion. A corrective lens has to be pretty close to the eye to work correctly. Go get yourself a second pair of glasses...The ugliest, cheapest pair they have at the eyeglass store. Keep your good ones in a case in your trunk. When you stop, get out the good ones, and swap glasses.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
I don't think perscription visors would work. You would end up with a tremendous amount of distortion. A corrective lens has to be pretty close to the eye to work correctly. Go get yourself a second pair of glasses...The ugliest, cheapest pair they have at the eyeglass store. Keep your good ones in a case in your trunk. When you stop, get out the good ones, and swap glasses.

Bah... the glasses I have now are the ugliest ones lol.
my eye sight is 20/40 in one eye, and 20/60 in the other... and I have a stignatism. I am fine w/o glasses during the day, I can see perfectly. At night is when stuff starts to get blurry, but its still not blurry enough to wear the glasses when I stop for a break.

Contacts... due to the fact that I have a stignatism, I can not wear soft contacts, and after about 2 hours, the hard contacts start to hurt my eyes. They feel like they are suctioning themselves on to my eyeball. I think my eyes are too dry for them.

buuuutttt.. I figured, It couldnt hurt to ask the question. Thanks for the answers.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZX6R1033
Bah... the glasses I have now are the ugliest ones lol.
my eye sight is 20/40 in one eye, and 20/60 in the other... and I have a stignatism. I am fine w/o glasses during the day, I can see perfectly. At night is when stuff starts to get blurry, but its still not blurry enough to wear the glasses when I stop for a break.

Contacts... due to the fact that I have a stignatism, I can not wear soft contacts, and after about 2 hours, the hard contacts start to hurt my eyes. They feel like they are suctioning themselves on to my eyeball. I think my eyes are too dry for them.

buuuutttt.. I figured, It couldnt hurt to ask the question. Thanks for the answers.
Don't whine about eye problems to me! I have keratoconus. I'll be essentially blind in a few years. Corneal transplant might give me some useable vision back thereafter, but they can usually only get you back to 20/60. In the mean time, I have no choice but special RGP's for unusual corneas. They cost about $200 EACH!!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 05:40 PM

Kevlar was correct in carrying one set for when riding the bike. I have just this one pair, though a sub set at home, being older bifocals that can do for a week plus, if I need a new set to replace present ones if lost or damaged, & different ones for shooting h/gun, a third set for the PC, & if I am doing any manual work, like with tools then an old set of many yrs ago.

I am going blind in my left eye as it will not focus so only the right to see, read by, & use for riding & that screws up depth of preception.

The ones I use on the bike are with frames that go back to around '81. Only the shooting ones & ones for PC are of later frames & lenses YET the other two are prior to '81-----meaning I have not screwed up frames in some 50 yrs of using them when riding m/cs.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
...I am going blind in my left eye as it will not focus so only the right to see, read by, & use for riding & that screws up depth of preception...
I'm the other way around, Smitty.

When I was young, it was discovered that my right eye had turned-in slightly and was very weak. I was made to wear a patch over my left eye for two years, to try to strengthen the bad eye, but it didn't work. You can imagine the fun other kids had in teasing me! My left eye is now fading, so I've had to start wearing glasses, but only really for reading.

Due to the turn, I don't have correct 3D vision and suffer from the depth-perception problem you talked about, but, because I've had it for soooo long, my brain's figured out how to deal with it. I have no problem playing ball sports, except for one thing. Every time I go for a smash in tennis, I always swing before the ball gets to the racquet! VERY embarrassing.

I recently looked into getting prism lenses, that would correct the vision my right eye is seeing. When the Optometrist finally got the correct alignment, I was like, "Wooooaaaaa, holy sh*t, ths is too freaky!" In the end, we decided that, since my brain had learned to handle to fault, we'd just leave it alone. Besides, I would need a lense that was quite thick on one side, but thin on the other.

Sorry for my ramblings. Back to the topic...

I don't think a prescription visor would work. What about some cheapie glasses? Over here, you can buy them at petrol stations, chemists, etc. They just come in basic frames and 'scripts. I've heard of people buying them just for the frames ('cause they're so cheap), then getting their proper lenses made for them.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:48 PM

What a bummer Cookee. I have some twisties I hit all the time. What I use to do at 160kph---100mph with max limit being 80kph--50mph is down to 140kph--85mph while downhill was always a bit slower & more so in the last few yrs.

Use to shoot h/gun with both eyes open though changed over to closing left eye some 8-10 yrs ago so I guess the leftie was screwing up even then.

Had a g/f from Hong Kong with left eye really pulling in--like it would send most nuts when she was talking to them for she did move her head a lot. Being Chinese & that plus eyes were green/blue no one seemed to keen on her PLUS rather flat on the front & same on the rear. Had also been in a building that had collapsed, killer her parents, brother & injuring her so she could not have kids.

Hey I loved that gal & we would have been married in '59 only she was killed in a drunk hitting the cage she was in.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-29-2005 at 05:52 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:21 PM

Smitty, day-to-day it's not something that affects my life. When you look at photo's of me, one eye (my left) will be looking at the camera, while the other looks like it's looking over the photographer's shoulder. It's not turned a huge amount, but enough to screw with my 3D vision.

I have a trick that I can do, though. I can go cross-eyed with one eye. My left eye will turn in, but I can keep my right eye straight. I can cross both eyes and even switch from one to both to one etc. If I concentrate hard enough, I can get the right one to shake. Freaks people out when they turn around to look at you and your eyes are going crazy!

I've not shot a h/gun, but when I've shot rifles before, I look somewhat unorthodox. I'm right-handed, but my left eye is the good one, so I lean right across the gun to use my good eye on the scope. I've tried shooting lefty, but I'm crap that side.

Due to the weakness of my right eye, the vision I get from it is kind of peripheral. It sees things, but it's like they're "ghosty", if you know what I mean.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 02:25 PM

Know what you mean for in riding when I look in the mirror I see the blur of two vehicles when it is only one.

My ex-g/f with her eye pulled in, looked sort of cross-eyed, all the time, & yes she could do the same in that cross-eyed look, when she was kidding that she questioned my outlook on something.

The other tricks I have not seen, still gals tend to look out of the sides of their eyes to take on that sweet look only her left eye would almost go out of sight so she would close the left eye to not frighten off others.

Friend of mine had a stroke & lost his right eye. Fortunately in h/guns he simply shifted over to use of the left eye, but his days of hunting were finished. That meant he sold off some costly hunting rifles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode