Pulling horseshoes out of my @ss - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

I must admit, when i first saw the subject line, I thought; "gee, why does he have horseshoes up his @ss anyway? This picqued my curiousity. LOL! Good post and very well written. I got a kick out the "time", "place" and "destination" lines. Especially the second one... "most likely, jail".

Congrats on getting out of BOTH tickets. Like you, I keep getting caught and it doesn't slow me down one bit. Is it stupidity, or just frustration w/the system? Hmmm....let's discuss that second topic a bit.
Isn't it amazing how a cop can observe 10, 20 or 100 cage drivers not signaling lane changes, cutting each other off or doing 25 mph BELOW the speed limit and not ticket them? It's like that down here in Texas. If you are in a car or truck, as long as you're not speeding, you'll never get pulled over. If you are on a sportbike, you have a 50% chance of getting pulled over for nothing at all. If you are on a Hardly Dammitson, naked, with a bottle of Jack Daniels between your legs, and a big fat spliff in your mouth, you won't get pulled over at all. Speeding isn't a concern for HD riders...those bikes don't do more than 45 mph anyway! This disparity sucks, doesn't it?

BTW, I'm sure it's not a record; someone will top me but I do have you beat for mph over the speed limit. I got TICKETED (not just stopped and let go w/a warning) for doing 84 in a 40 (mph, don't know what the kph equivalent is) Got you beat! Cheers and congrats again for gettin' over! have a great weekend.

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 07:03 AM

Ok, I'll do a bit of story building here, forgive me, but I have this need to embellish:

Time: 2:00pm
Destination: Work

Feeding the back wheel power as I approach the merge lane for the on ramp, I glance over my left shoulder to see who I'm going to dust as I unleash the power and fury of the big NINE. Noticing a few sedans, but nothing impressive I set my sights forward to see what the prospects look like up ahead... nothing worthy of my attention so I duck under the fairing and let'er howl. I rapidly approach the next on ramp and have to roll off the power for the chaotic "kamikaze cage drivers" who are making the 15 lane swerve from the onramp to the express lane at 10 mph. After navigating my way through that mess I'm about to nail the throttle again and a car flies up beside me! My first reaction is "yeah! a guy with some balls!", my second reaction stems from an observation "err, why are his head lights flashing like a strobe light? Oh crap! an unmarked cop car!". Knowing that the guy almost certainly had my plate number I docilely pulled over to receive my verbal beating and paper exchange.

Scene 2:
Time: 2:01pm
Destination: most likely jail

A massive COP approaches my appropriately humble and remorsefully poised self. I hear the standard question "How fast do you think you where going there???", ah crap, having seen 190 kmh on the speedo I knew it would be insane to admit to that so I shot for the old plea that would just land me a huge ticket "errr, I dunno, 140?". I could hear the COP practically salivate at this... "I clocked you at over 170!!!! Don't you have a speedometer on that thing???". After the lengthy standard exchange the COP goes back to his car to do whatever it is they do in there. Meanwhile I'm thinking how I'm going to get to work from now on without a driver's license and winter rapidly approaching.
The COP comes back and gives me the news "I'm going to let you off with a HUGE warning today, and the only reason is because I drive a sportbike myself. Since you didn't act like a jerk you're free to go, but if I catch you again I'll nail you to the wall.".

I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone on this forum, using your suggestions of being respectful, removing my helmet right away, and with a massive amount of luck I was able to get out of my second ticket on that same stretch of road this month!

If anyone is still reading after this lengthy post, I'm wondering if I just set the record for the largest speeding infraction without a ticket? I was doing 70 kmph over the posted speed limit (I'm not sure but I think that's about 40 mph).

------------------
Suicycler.com
[email protected]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 07:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Good Deal Bro! Glad to hear that it worked
for ya. 90% of the time as long as your
not an ass.. they will cut you a break!!

Chris

------------------
Today's oak tree is yesterday's nut that held it's ground.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 11:16 AM

Back in the day, when I only had 38 tickets, I got my first warning ever. Of course, I was driving the cage and had the whole familia in the car, but he let me go with a warning of just 15 mph over the limit. I was so very thankful to the officer for that one and told him so
Then I had to listen to my brother for the next hour talk about how childish I am and how inappropriate it is to speed blah, blah, blah..... My own brother

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 02:01 PM

Arrow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suicycler:
I'm wondering if I just set the record for the largest speeding infraction without a ticket? I was doing 70 kmph over the posted speed limit (I'm not sure but I think that's about 40 mph).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on getting out of the ticket! I wish I had your luck!

I got a ticket, but not jailed, for doing 110mph in a 55mph zone when I was in my late teens. The only reason I didnt go to the clink was because I pulled over right away, removed my helmet and sucked some MAJOR hiney! I did loose my license for the 2 point wreckless ticket though... That was the end of my first sport bike career.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 02:50 PM

Nope, I got you beat. I was let off after doing 136 in a 60 zone. The cop was only interested in the fact that I had been following a car too closely (I wasn't doing 136 at that point). When the car moved over, I dropped to fourth and nailed it. When I saw the flashers in my mirror, I looked at my speedo and it said 136. I thought that I was screwed, but the cop just took my papers, ran them through the computer, and let me off with a warning for following too closely. He never once mentioned that I was well over double the speed limit. It turns out that the cop who stopped me rides sportbikes too. Whew!

------------------
Rossco.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 04:22 PM

Wink

Nope! That dont count cuz you didnt get busted for speeding naanaa na na naa

Ya know, I dont think bikes should get ticketed for following too closely because we can stop alot faster than a cage...

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 04:53 PM

Talking

LOL, thanks riverrunner! So I've still got the record so far!

...and for following too close tickets for motorcycles, I would have to agree with you there. I can understand it for cars, because if a car rear-ends another car, there is a high probability of back and neck injuries for the passengers of the first car. If a bike rear-ends a car, you end up with only the bike suffering... and don't give us any of that crap about "I'm giving a ticket for your own good", yeah, I feel much safer now that I have no money.

Ok, since I'm Canadian, look out! I'm going to write a letter! (err, if you Americans would back me up with guns, that would sure help)

------------------
Suicycler.com
[email protected]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 07:05 PM

My largest warning was for 75 in a 55 mph on a motorcycle. Usually the first thing they do is say "Thanks for pulling over". Got to love that!
I did get a ticket for 95 in a 55 though! With a radar detector in VA, were it is illegal.
Isn't that BS, detectors being illegal? As far as the following to close, if the cagers would speed a little and all slow traffic move to the right, then we wouldn't be following anyone!

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 03:02 AM
Pete

Angry

Damn, Suicycler, you get let off for 70kmph over, and I don't for 14mph over! Yeah, I got a ticket yesterday, my first on a bike, for 69mph in a 55mph zone. DAMN!

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode