Follow up to the IN, KY, OH ride. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Well, my ride didn’t go as well as planned. I knew it was going to be bad when I received tons of the “I think its gonna rain so I doubt I’ll be coming” e-mails. We had a total of nine show in the beginning. It rained on me and the crew riding up with me that morning but it had cleared by the time we arrived at the meeting spot.

We stopped at Big Boy and ate breakfast and I introduced myself to those that were there. After leaving there we went to the gas station, snapped some pics, and headed on our way. We were booking at a pretty good pace through the long sweepers and straights that begin 62 immediately out of Corydon. Then, right before hitting the twisty sections the skies opened up and God flushed the commode. We stopped at the overlook at Leavenworth. I had planned this stop to take pics but the rain was pouring so I didn’t even break my cam out. Chuck (ChuckC) snapped some pics with his digi though (to be posted in the picture post later).

After a bit the rain let up and we cautiously headed out. We had to take it easy as the roads were now pretty slick. When we finally got to the junction of 62 and 37 we turned onto 37 and headed for Paoli. Low and behold the road was dry!! Yeah! We nailed the gas and hit some curves. Not far into this fun I looked back (I was second bike in the pack) and noticed we were missing two bikes. As I was looking and counting someone else noticed this and we pulled over. After some discussing it was concluded that the two (friends of mine) had headed for home due to the rain. They were the only ones NOT wearing helmets and I guess the “wasp stings” were too much.

After some discussing the tail bike said that he thought they continued on 62 (which heads home) instead of turning. This turned out to be the case as at the end of the day I paid them a little visit and thanked them for letting us know that they were bailing.

So we were down to seven bikes and nine people. So be it. I wasn’t going to let this bum me out. Damnit! I was having fun!

Along this route were some really nice curves and we had a blast. I had some problems though. I’m not an excellent rider by any means but someone (who shall remain nameless Mr. My bike and me is faster than your bike and you) kept letting off right as we were headed into curves that I was trying to power into. You know who you are :-P.

Only three occurred during this ride that bothered me.

First and second happened to me, and the third didn’t.

First one. On one uphill curve to the right we were scootin’ pretty good. As we came around the hardest part of the curve my back-end stepped out. It corrected and I caught Luke’s (Troublemaker) VFR step out. I can only assume that most everyone did. At the next stop we discussed it. There was NOTHING visible on the road that could cause this. So we were at a loss to explain it. The leader didn’t feel it at all.

Second. As we came out of Bristow (on 145) there is quite a few quick 90 degree turns and a trip up a big sweeping hill. As we just started to power up the hill I see this rock a little bit bigger than a golf ball. I had already picked my line and this was right on it. So I tried to turn a little tighter and made sure I didn’t look at it. Hit it anyway. It picked up my tire, rolled, and set it back down a couple of inches over from where it came up. Rather un-settling to my fiancé and I.

Third. I stressed that if anyone felt uncomfortable at the pace we were going they needed to slow and drop back and let us know at the next stop. Well, two people were trying to keep up when they should have dropped back. Apparently this occurred more than once but I caught the worst one. As we came around a particularly fast right-hander I suddenly saw a pair of headlights in my rear view…. IN THE OTHER LANE!!! This guy was all the way over near the white line. The other guy was about a foot over the double yellows. He was following the guy that went WAY over and I guess he got spooked when the guy headed over to see how the English ride. They both pulled it back in but they scared me pretty bad. If someone had been coming…

At the next stopped we discussed this. At this point we were almost to the splitting point. Where some went with me back to Tell City and the others headed back up to Louisville. Sooo, we broke out the cameras and snapped like crazy. Jokes and cutting up ensued. After that we headed to the final break away point and talked for a couple more minutes. And then we went our own merry ways.

As of yesterday I began work on my two projects to be completed by next spring. One, my club M.M.E. (Mid-west Motorcycle Enthusiasts) and second, my (HOPEFULLY) much bigger ride to be held during the spring months. Anyone interested in participating or helping out can drop me a line. Later all. I’ll post a follow up when I get the address of the pictures.

------------------
Chris (H-Man) Pyle
'99 F4-S/T
Ride Smart, Ride Far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Go to this page to check out the pics that ChuckC took with his digi. My pics won't be back for awhile as my camera isn't used up yet.
http://community.webshots.com/album/5139434ehsjFZMsUG

------------------
Chris (H-Man) Pyle
'99 F4-S/T
Ride Smart, Ride Far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode