My own little Road Trip - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Talking

I was sitting around at home Saturday morning doing alot of nothing and stepped outside around noon to notice that "DAMN its REALLY nice out today!!"

Well, i HAD planned a ride, but Will was indisposed, (no im not blaming you THIS time Will ) and another friend of mine was away on business so he couldnt go.. I had skipped on the Friday night sportbike gathering, so i didnt solicit and riders there... I was basically out of luck.. as i said, so here i am sitting around feeling sorry for myself.... i stepped outside again and thats all it took.. I KNEW i HAD to go ride, the weather was too good to pass up!!

I get some gas, and decide to maybe go on a 10 mile jaunt, nothin far... Didnt even bother with jacket, but i did have my AGV gloves, Helmet, boots etc.

So off i go.. beautiful weather, just an AMAZING day.. i head out not quite knowing where i am headed.

FAST FORWARD ONE HOUR:

I am in Superior, AZ about 75 miles from home. Well, i was having so much fun "cruising along" that i felt i might as well make the most of it. I stop for gas at the local convienience store/texaco and top up the tank.

The ride i had PLANNED for the day was Salt River Canyon, which uses this same route, but no way do i want to go that far, after all this is just a "little jaunt" (NOT)...

Now in rides this older guy (maybe 45-50) on a 95 HD 1200 Sportster. He pulls up to the next pump and says "hey".. not a mean looking guy, seems like a decent character. and the bike, well, if i was ever to buy a Hog, this bike would be teh one. Very cool looking. As i am paying inside for a drink he is there and asks me "hows that HONDA ride?" (Honda????.. i think to myself..oh boy ).. then he says, "or is it a Suzuki?" ( ).. I respond, Its GREEN! its a Kawasaki!", (in a jokingly/friendly lighthearted way )... so we begin to chit chat and come to find out he was gonna go the same way i was then thinking about riding.. (not Salt River Canyon), so we agree to do the same route south to a certain point where he would be heading on south to Tucson, and i would be either turning around or (new idea) going north to Globe (which is basically 75% of the way to Salt River Canyon)

We head out and ride through some mild twisty mountain passes for about 30 minutes until we reach the point where we split. We stop, shake hands and go our separate ways. This guy was genuine and cool, not a "dirty hog biker", but more like a good family kinda guy.

I decide now to infact head north and after a ride UP the highay through a higher mountain range, (it began to get COLD!!) i arrive in Globe, AZ.. So much for a quick jaunt... Also, for some reason i had been having cramps in my sides this whole trip! they were very annoying.

So now im in Globe. I top up the tank and decide im going for it all.. I head out for Salt River Canyon. It time to make the trip worthwhile!!!

Again, where it was a nice 85 degrees in Phoenix, the highway to Salt River Canyon rises from 4500 to 6000 feet! brrr.. it had to be 65F. and i began to get kinda cold... remember, no jacket.. (i know i know )... So i arrive at the canyon and stop for a rest before entering, also waiting for a REAL long gap between cars to get as much car-free riding as possible.. I wait about a minute or 2 and finally see some traffic heading my way! time to get going.. i pull out and im on my way through the canyon.. This is a great canyon and has some amazing twisties.. i had a great trip down to the bottom and then back up the other side.. turned around and came back and then up and out. Bike handled great and i was very happy!

Headed home and got home around 6:30 pm just as it got dark... what a day!

...over 300 miles total for my "minor jaunt"..

at 9pm i head out to Mill Ave in Tempe, to do the saturday night socializing.. we decide to ride to Phoenix to a "new" hot spot for cars and such.. THEN after THAT commute, we head to Scottsdale for another Social spot, THEN about 20 of us go to a Dennys near ASU in Tempe until 3:AM... i get home around 3:30 almost 400 miles in one day... I AM TIRED!!! AND MY LEGS ARE SORE!

Cant say my weekend was boring now!!

------------------
Fear Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 04:33 AM

Nice story Mike.

I have one question though... were you sitting on the bike when you fueled it?

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 05:08 AM

I knew somebody would ask that

------------------
Will Darton
Administrator
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 06:21 AM

and I was happy that it might get up to 65 today. Riding time is getting short up north.

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 07:34 AM

I just completed my normal 300 mile Sunday and I love the new Dunlop 207 rear. I do have a problem with the bike bouncing a little more than usual. I think it has to do with the lower profile and too high air pressure. I am running 32 psi and I think that after the tire cools down I will drop it to 28 psi.
I love Sundays!!!!!

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Yes, i was sitting on the bike when fueling, ALL FOUR TIMES!

No jacket and sitting on bike, IM OUTTA CONTROL!!!

------------------
Fear Green.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 01:27 AM
Squidwannabe

The same thing happened to me yesterday!! Except I only went 400K, but still ...

Those rides that just pop up out of nowhere are usually the best.

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode