Newbie looking for advice... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Hey all,

Ok... i'm TOTALLY new to sportbiking but i'm REALLY anxious to get into it!
First off, I don't even know how to ride one =) Anyone know where in the Bay Area, CA (anywhere between Daly City and San Mateo) I can take biking lessons?
Secondly, what's a good used starter sportbike? The ones I see mostly are CBRs and Ninjas. Is it safe to say that i should stick w/ the 600cc bikes for a start? Also, someone told me that 25K is high mileage for bikes... is this true? Am I unrealistic to think I can find a good bike in the Bay Area for 2-3K dollars? I guess i'm trying to narrow down my search for a fairly inexpensive, used, but reliable bike which would probably see at least 50-75 miles per day.
You guys probably get these silly questions often but i'd REALLY appreaciate ANY advice anyone can offer =) Thanks in advance!

Deo

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 09:33 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome Deo! First of all take the MSF course and use their bike. Then, once you totally love the sport you can go looking for a bike with money in your pocket and lust in your heart!

You CAN find a nice used bike for 2-3k easily. IMO, mileage on a bike really doesnt matter; I would only care about the condition of the bike and having it checked out by a professional. If you're asking for personal choices for a first bike, mine would be: Kawi. EX500, or a Honda CBR600 (either a F2, F3, or maybe a Hurricane) Although if you find a really nice Hurricane, I want to buy it from you to restore.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 10:38 AM

Talking

DEO:
I also recommend the MSF course,in some cases your ins.co.will give u a discount for taking the course.Make sure you have a good helmet gloves,boots and jacket @ the very least. Other Bikes to consider:Yamaha600 Seca2,FZR600,SuzukiGS500,Bandit600,or Katana600,Kawi:600R,HondaVF500FInterceptor.These are all good starter sport-bikes!!Take care and enjoy and don't ride beyond your comfort level!!! JIM

------------------

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited September 24, 2000).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 01:14 AM
Squidwannabe

Don't forget the BUSA ! ,

Deo ,

Tell us a little more about yerself ? size , age .... But take the MSF course!

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 01:25 AM

Take the MSF course and crash their bikes first. You might also want to get a cheap dirtbike and crash a few times on it while you learn - dirt is much softer than asphalt... The best beginner bike, bar none, is the Suzuki SV-650. It has a sensible (more upright) seating position, torquey powerband and it can be raced if you're so inclined (a lot of people in Texas use them as track bikes because of their low cost).

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode