painted road lines - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 08:06 PM
Squidwannabe

LOL!! Thats too funny!

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 02:00 AM

is it just me or does the paint on the race track seem to be a lot slicker than the paint on public roads?

when i go to the track everytime i ride over one or the red & white area on corners i slide all over.. but i rarely slide on paint lines on the street.. even during "spirited" street rides.

------------------
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 03:09 AM
Pete

I've never been on a track before, but the road lines they have around here are slick as chicken shat, especially when the roads are cool. Just this past Sunday, I just nicked the solid yellow line in a curve and both tires stepped out on me. Whoa Nellie!

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 04:14 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
I've never been on a track before, but the road lines they have around here are slick as chicken shat, especially when the roads are cool. Just this past Sunday, I just nicked the solid yellow line in a curve and both tires stepped out on me. Whoa Nellie!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete, why are you hitting the yellow line. Is the power getting to you?

Around hear it just depends on where you are. Some of the paint is slick and some of it is as sticky as the pavement it is on. I hate the big arrows painted at intersections... those are usually slick with oily gunk.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 05:09 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
Pete, why are you hitting the yellow line. Is the power getting to you?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Power? Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was on my Huffy when this happened.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited September 21, 2000).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 05:10 AM
Founder

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpeedPhreak:
is it just me or does the paint on the race track seem to be a lot slicker than the paint on public roads?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it depends on the track, here in Arizona the paint on the Firebird track is not bad. If I remember correctly, willow was very slick though.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 07:24 AM

i guess its just like n e things else.. there are always variables.. temp, surface type, cleanliness, when the paint was laid, etc.. ive just never experiance really slick street paint & never had traction on a track.

------------------
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 07:35 AM

Talking

I think I found your problem....

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 10:40 AM

I am sure that the lines on the sreet are equally as slick as the lines on a track. I know that the lines on the roads around here (Montreal) are slippery, as I often get the back wheel spinning when I change lanesd and cross a line. You are just not going as fast, or on the brakes or throttle as hard, when you are on the street. When you are on a track, you are using a lot more of your tires' traction, so when you cross a line, you are WAY beyond the traction the painted line can provide. Most of the time when you cross a line of the street, you are probably not asking for more traction than the line can provide.

------------------
Rossco.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 11:04 AM

I was talking to some guys from the UK on another board and they said some of the tracks over there use a special product for lines and markings that is actually grippy. I don't remember what it was called though. Anybody here from the UK that knows what I am talking about? (I obviously don't)

------------------
If you're gonna ride a couch, why not just stay home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode