It's amazing how much strength........ - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Rode into the work car park this morning, swung around into my usual spot, gave the kickstand a kick and promptly went to hop off.
I had failed to push the stand right the way down.

The bird went down faster than the Titanic, managed to guide it down and it came to rest on the engine cover (gently).

I was suprised at how easy it was to get things back to their normal vertical, I just got a firm hold and up she came.

I also managed to save face, as where I park is next to the smokers area and it was empty.

The main thing is NO DAMAGE....whew.

I was amazed at how quick it all happened, the bike dropped, seconds later it was back on it's stand, with me looking around assuming a "nothing to see here, move along" pose.

Anyone done somthing similar?

Ross

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 01:23 PM

I once made an attempt at a stoppie. When the rear came in contact with the ground the bike went over. I managed to hold the bike with one hand and float it just above the pavement. I couldn't pick it up from the position I was in so I managed to get on one side of the bike, still holding it, and lift it into its upright position. All before the light changed too. Adrenaline is some great stuff, let me tell ya!

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 10:46 PM

Speaking of picking bikes up,when corner working at SIR,its no sweat to pick up a race bike,although some of those vintage bikes are a tad heavy.About 4 or 5 years ago,there was a class for H-D 883`s and looks are decieving(they`re bare bones).You`re thinking that they can`t be that heavy,heck there`s no fairing.One goes down and you think OK I`ll just get a grip on the bar and lift,ugh,its not moving.I mean really,you needed 2 guys to pick one up and god help us if one landed in weeds.

------------------

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 12:23 AM

Ross, I had the same thing happen to me on a rented BMW R1100s in Italy.
I swung into a filling station, gave the stand a kick and put the weight of the bike on it, only to have it fold up!
I tried like hell to wrestle it back up but the damn thing got the best of me.
The BMW wound up on the valve cover undamaged and everybody had a good laugh about it later.

Thinking about it still makes me smile!

C.V.

------------------
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 02:00 AM

This happened in summer of '99. Was riding with the guys on an evil section of twisty road. (36, off of 16 for those who live in San Antonio or are familiar w/it) This is the type of road that when the yellow sign with the "curve" arrow says 25 mph, it MEANS 25 mph. Unlike most "suggested speed" signs, these don't lie.

Anyway, we had a newbie with us. Big boy riding a brand new 2000 Daytona 955i. Sweet bike. I was riding last, because I was unfamiliar w/the road and didn't want to cause a pile-up, should I wreck.

The newbie on the Daytona was right in front of me. The pack of about 12 bikes was doing about 40 thru those 25mph turns. A bit quick for me, since I'd never ridden the road before, but I was comfortable. I felt like I was riding at about 8/10s. You know, slightly stressed, but not maxed. Well, after a few close calls with the yellow line in the middle of the road, the newbie went the other way and went wide on a tight left-hander. The shoulder isn't a shoulder on the road. It's trees and rocks. From what I remember, he slid sideways into the rocks, and his front wheel kinda ran into a little ditch. He highsided and went end over end right in front of me. I missed running him over by about 1/2 inch. Of course, I would've highsided had I hit him and we would've had much more fun that day. The other guys didn't notice what happened and were quickly gone.

After I got past him, I stopped and turned around. His bike was in pieces in he was lying face down in the middle of road, not moving. I rode up to him. I parked on the "shoulder" and slammed the kickstand down while simultaneously jumping off the bike. As I hopped off,the bike started going down. Like an idiot I shoved both arms under the side to cushion the fall. Somehow I managed to lower it slowly. I tried lifting, instead of lowering, but that wasn't gonna work because of the angle my arms were at. Bottom line: gravel scratches on the bottom "curve" of the lower fairing where the fairing curves out to go around the left-hand engine cover. That's it. It didn't look too bad after I washed it. So I left it for a few months. Then I purchased some spray paint that LOOKED like the right color to match the grayish decal that had been scratched off. I taped up the surrounding area to protect from over spray. Sprayed the damaged area and let it dry. Now it looks 10 times worse than it did before. Darn. LOLOLOL. The moral of the story is: dont' be in a rush when putting the kick stand down, and always leave the bike in gear when parking.

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 02:03 AM
Squidwannabe

I did something like this once, But I was at a Bike Course ... I came to a stop, jumped off the bike , started to lower it on it's stand .. OH SHIT the stand isn't down ... TO LATE >.. !CRASH! But these bike were shitty old CB450's w/crash bars... But I did look stupid.

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 03:19 AM
Pete

Ross, glad to hear there was no damage to your bike. I did a similar thing in my garage with my '94 VFR. My adrenaline was pumping so hard that when I lifted the bike off the ground, I almost threw it over on it's right side; had to pull back to keep it from going over the other way.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 04:38 AM

Question

So am I the only one wondering if the guy on the 955 in Cosmo's story lived? You kind of left us with the guy lying face down in the middle of the road there Cosmo.

------------------
If you're gonna ride a couch, why not just stay home?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 04:46 AM
Squidwannabe

Posted By Pete <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>My adrenaline was pumping so hard that when I lifted the bike off the ground, I almost threw it over on it's right side; had to pull back to keep it from going over the other way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess all that wrestling with Rcjohn is paying off!!

------------------

Adam
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 04:59 AM
Squidwannabe

Posted By Pete <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>My adrenaline was pumping so hard that when I lifted the bike off the ground, I almost threw it over on it's right side; had to pull back to keep it from going over the other way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess all that wrestling with Rcjohn is paying off!!

I have to stay on topic here sooo... Uh ya Cosmo what happened ?

------------------

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode