More on the Road Squid - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

There it was, staring me dead in the face. The report of a buddie of mine hanging on for dear life after a bike wreck. Not just an ordinary one, a tumble under a moving tractor/trailer on the highway. Not only was he not wearing a helmet, but the report suggests that he is guilty of the most haneous crime known to cycling, SUI [Squidding Under the Influence]. He has broken all of his ribs, fractured his eye socket in 3 places, punctured both lungs and collapsed one, bruised his heart and is having valve trouble, and has broken one ankle and one wrist. The real tradegedy is this buddy of mine is in the military and given the conditions of the wreck, he would not be covered for medical and had he died [he was originally goven a 25% chance to survive] his family would NOT receive any insurance money, no retirement, and all the hospital bills, currently totaling over $210'000. This man is a combat vet and has 14 years in the military. All in all, not a "Bad" guy, but a word of advice to all govt. employees. Be well versed on the rules and regs governing your term of service. Here it is legal to ride without a helmet, but the military insists that you wear one while riding at all times, regardless of the situation.
Be safe brothers and sisters, I used to think the "Road Squid" concept was amusing, but now it has a face. Peace...

------------------
"Keep the rubber side down" Prometheus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 11:03 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope he pulls through to ride again. I hate to say this but if he has a full recovery you better kick his ass! I have no respect for anyone who rides under the influence of any substance. Bad ju ju. I'm in the military and the regulations are there for your own safty and I have to agree with them all except that darn motorcycle safty vest. You wont get a dime for not wearing all the safty gear, that includes the safty vest which I think is bogus.

------------------
John

Not the brightest crayon in the box now, are we?

[This message has been edited by jk6672 (edited September 10, 2000).]
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 03:16 PM

Ouch...just reading that reports makes me not want to speed anymore...(or ride).

Hope your buddy makes it out OK.

------------------
When you're racing youre living, everything else is just waiting. E.K.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 03:46 PM

Thumbs up

John, I hope your friend pulls through. But riding when you are not 100% sharp is not cool. He is lucky he is alive at all. And even though you can ride without gear...well, I think now you know why I always have my Shoei on, even when I ride where I don't have to.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 05:14 PM
Squid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rponiarski:
John, I hope your friend pulls through. But riding when you are not 100% sharp is not cool. He is lucky he is alive at all. And even though you can ride without gear...well, I think now you know why I always have my Shoei on, even when I ride where I don't have to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT'S NOT ME!, I WOULDN'T/DON'T RIDE WITH ANYONE WHO IN UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANY SUBSTANCE, JUST PLAIN SUISIDE IN MY BOOK.

I had to make myself clear on that one, I might be crazy but I'm not stupid

------------------
John

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 01:27 AM

Prometheus, sorry to hear about your bud, how he makes a full recovery(and you kick his ass). John, those motorcycle safety vests are pretty sorry aren't they. That's probably the reason I never had a bike while I was in the service. Makes you look like you just got off a construction site or something.

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 03:13 AM
Squid

rugburn, they are. It comes off at the first gas station out the gate Then you have those retards that try and crack down on your ass for not wearing one.

------------------
John

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 03:21 AM

Talking

John, I always saw guys taking it off right outside the gate at the first stop light. I pictured them in a wreck trying to get that damn thing on before they passed out from their injuries.

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 04:59 AM
Squid

Yeah, out of the bunch of military people that hang with the locals only one will wear his vest all the time. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that he is in the military police. He doesn't rag on us for not wearing them though.

------------------
John

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 05:11 AM

Talking

i knew there was a reason i didn't join the military !

------------------
texas tornado #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode