It happened tonight - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I work for the campus police at FSU and about an hour ago we had a 98 6R get knocked over. Hit and run by an SUV. Damage was minimal, a broken mirror and a scuffed pipe, but that is crap.
I don't know about yall but I try to park in the motorcycle spots that have curbing around them. If that isn't available I usually just park on the sidewalks and risk the tickets.
I would be heartbroken to come out of the store and see my baby on her side.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 02:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
my gsxr was hit and run this year. many car drivers don't even notice hitting the bike, blind dumb sob's that they are.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 03:31 AM

When I was 16, I worked at a grocery store. I parked on the side of the lot, near the top so I could keep an eye on my bike (GS500). One of the porters came running in and said there was a guy out in the parking lot trying to pick up my bike. He'd backed straight out of his spot with an Ford F250 into the bike and knocked it over. "oh, I didn't see it". I was pissed. He broke and scuffed just about everything on the left side. I got out there before he left, got his insurance and info, and his insurance damn sure paid for all the damages. People are stupid. These days I park away from most cars, or somewhere highly visible.

------------------
j.-
it's all in the reflexes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 03:35 AM

I've finally started parking in the parking garage at work, and I've found a sweet little spot to park. where the security gates allow cars access to the roof, I park the bike in the off-limits area next to the security gate. There are these 4 foot yellow poles that are spaced far enough apart to get a bike into, but no way a car can get into them.....Now if I can just keep the sun off of it.

I had a friend in college who left his out in front of the dorm over night one night and he came out the next morning and it was laying on its side. Somebody (prolly drunk) thought it was a good idea to knock it over...
Really sucks that people don't respect other peoples property...hate to see what their house looks like.

------------------
Will Darton
Administrator
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 09:10 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Angry

I was lucky enough (if you could call it luck) to watch a guy back in to my old bike. I waas workifg at a local computer store. I was on my way out to lunch when I heard a loud thud. I looked upo as I was walking out the front door. there was a white van that had backed in to the space my bike was in. As he started to pull away I saw my 94 XT225 Dual Sport on its side. I tried to flag him down as he pulled away. I wrote his license plate number on my arm. I could not catch him. Well, when the cops showed I gave the information. The cop asked me what the guy looked like and I told him how tall, weight clothes and everyhting. He wanted to know how I could tell how tall he was. I just helped the guy 5 minutes before hand! Of course when the police called the guy swore up and down that he did not hit anything. He went out and looked on the back of his van and found some scratches. He admitted to it and his insurance paiud for the damages, all $560.00 of it. Bent fork and handlebars was the worst of it. If it would have happened with my VFR I would be REALLY be ticked!

------------------
It's only illegal if you get caught.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 09:43 AM

Thumbs down

That really stinks. Sorry your bike got messed up. At home I park in the garage and at work I park on the sidewalk. No tickets so far, but if I get one it is a small price for a safe spot.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 06:10 PM

Parking spots for Cycles ought to be as mandatory as ramps for crips! O.K., bad analagy, but here the malls just re black top the lots and most sport bikes are found with side stand just sinking into the black top. I came out to find my beast 99 CBR1100XX listing dangerously close to the tip point. After pulling the stand free, I swore vengance and now park on the sidewalk. I was thinking of using the crip ramp but decided that would be in poor taste.

------------------
"Keep the rubber side down" Prometheus...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 03:14 PM

I use the lowered areas that go up onto the sidewalk to get on and off it. Works very well. When there is fresh asphalt I just put the bike on the centerstand. Sometimes it sinks a bit into the asphalt as well, but I can always get it free.

And please, don't use the word "crip". People who are disabled can't help that for the most part. I assure you they would much rather not be "crippled" and they don't like being reminded of their handicaps. Trust me on this one...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 07:46 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Question

I know one of the malls here has a place just for bikes to park, concrete not black top.

Someone was telling me a while back that bikes are allowed to park in the horizontal lines at the end parking lanes. Had anyone heard of this?

------------------
It's only illegal if you get caught.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 08:14 PM

That is where my buddy and i park when we go to the mall or walmart or target, etc. never had any problems

------------------
If ya smmmmeeeeeellll what The Rock, is cookin'??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode