Looking to get a new bike soon... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

As some may already know I have a 95 Katana 750 (that is not running so well under braking) that I plan to sell it soon. I'm a daily rider, meaning rain or shine I'm out there and do a lot of commute riding (lane spliting and the like, so no gold wings in my future).

I have a car, but that is reserved for racing only these days. My wife's car is the grocery getter. But, what I'd like is a low maintenance reliable bike with good power. I like sport bikes, but I need something with a more long term comfortable riding position. The bikes on the top of my list are;

Hyabusa
V-Max
CBR1100XX

I really like the idea of the V-Max with the shaft drive, but I also like the CBR1100XX for the fuel injection. I know most of you are probably carb lovers, but I think FI ultimately will win out (low maintenance and so easy to fix). None of the above bikes seem to have both. The BMW K series is out -- just too expensive (they do have both FI & shaft).

Looking for anyone's impressions and thoughts on this topic. If you have taken any of the three listed bikes for a spin, I'd really enjoy your feedback.

------------------
Cheers, Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:03 PM

I looked at your list, and there is one bike that is not there that I think you shuld consider. That would be the ZX-12. A buddy of mine has one, and it is kick-ass, firebreathing, mutha****a! Of course, when the road starts to turn, he becomes a speck in my mirror, but in a straight line- holy crap!!

------------------
Rossco.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:04 PM

Smile

Hi Rob,
If your looking for smooth power delivery, the XX does this very well. the 00 has some improvments over the 97 - 99 model like full stainless system, larger fuel tank & FI.
I'm sure the Vmax is similar, but the only thing I would say, is with out fairing longer trips would be harder on the body.
Depending on what sort of riding you want to do.

You also mention, that you ride everyday (so do I) the fairing offer's good protection from wind and rain.

The XX is very easy to take to redline without realising and some people I know fit aftermarket exhaust's, to just let them "feel" the speed they are travelling at.

The Hyabusa, (have not has a ride on one) but from what I understand, it is not as smooth but has more power. It has a lower seat height - so tall or short? also build quality? - heard somthing about subframes colapsing?

Ross

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

[This message has been edited by Ross (edited September 14, 2000).]

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

ZX12 was on my list, but I can never seem to get comfortable on a Kawasaki. I'm short 5'8" and stocky (195 lbs). Also, the Kawasaki's I've tried seem to generate more vibrations at freeway cruise speeds.

How are the vibs on the CBR1100XX? What is the width of the XX? With CA traffic I'm a big lane splitter.

That fairing is nice to have, really does help out my neck and shoulders (but also makes it more difficult to work on the bike). I want a bike that I'll have no problem going from San Francisco to L.A. Needs to have power (i.e. 10 sec bike) and yet be very reliable (avoid high maintenance and frequent tune ups). Tried this trip on my old Suzuki 1400 Intruder and took me about 2 days to finally get the vibs out of me.

Thanks for the input, trying to gather as much feedback as I can right now.

------------------
Cheers, Rob.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 02:12 PM

Wink

The vibes,
no prob's with the XX, with the motor having a balancer shaft it gives very little vibration, this even means Honda have done away with rubber engine mounts. giving a more rigid chassis.

I split lanes everyday, it not as agile as a shorter bike (R1) but I have no worries, our roads are a bit tighter than those found in the states I think?

The seat, it's comfy, I normally need to get off every 1&1/2 hours to let my legs get some circulation, if I'm on a long trip.
I'm a bit of a blouse when it comes to pain and I'm not normally in a hurry (also need a smoke by that time as well).

I would suggest going to a few dealers and sitting on their machines, and select the one that fits you best. being comfortable is (I think) quite important.

Service,
being a Honda sort of speaks for it's self. the only real problem I've had is a fried regulator (& fried battery due to this). The bike's done about 40,000 kms. changed the oil & filter a few times, tyres and a new chain.

Ross

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V8VENOM:
what I'd like is a low maintenance reliable bike with good power <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Judging by your criteria, there is no question which bike to get. The Blackbird is the way to go.

RIDE RED!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 03:18 PM

Let me suggest a few other you should consider, especially as you say you commute everyday and want a sportbike. The Honda VFR800 should be on your list, as should the Kawasaki ZRX1200 (coming out this year and certified in California). Both are very comfortable, a consideration in daily riding, fast enough to lose you license and very reliable. Plus the Kawasaki is a relative bargain at about $7,300 or so.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

I certainly have to give the Kawasaki another rider fit & feel test. I'm not looking for a sportbike -- I think the class is sport touring?

Is the ZRX1200 fuel injected? Are you sure about the $7,300? I thought they were more in the $11,000 range?

I've tried the VFR750, but not an 800. It is a nice bike but the rider position made me feel I was being pole volted over the top -- but again, I'm short guy so it is hard to find a good compromise.

Rob.

------------------
Cheers, Rob.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:17 PM

You should sit on the VFR800 to see the changes. There is always aftermarket clipons and footpegs to change the ride height and stance. It is a great bike for long distance or daily comfort, and reliability.

------------------
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:47 PM

You should get an SV650. I bought one in June, and it is the fifth bike I've owned.

I've owned a '79 KZ650, '93 Honda Shadow 600, '92 GSX-1100g, and a '93 GSXR-1100.

the SV650 is by far the most fun I've ever had on a bike. I'm so much more confident on this bike than any other, that I've left a few friends on liter bikes in the dust.

It's also cheap enough that you could seriously trick it out, and have left over money to play with, as opposed to chipping our 10k+ for a 'Busa or 12r, or whatever.

If you're comfortable with your ego enough to ride a 600cc bike, the SV will not let you down.

------------------
Yes mom, I promise this is the last bike I'll buy (this year....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode