Minimum amount of gear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
RPM

Cool

What is the minimum amount of gear you will wear when you ride your Sportbike?
For me it is, Helmet,Leather Sportbike Jacket,Gloves,Bluejeans,and Boots. Have not got enough mony saved yet for Leather Pants.
Only when the temps are in the 90's and it's realy humeid will I go with out Jacket and gloves.

RPM

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 02:58 PM

A couple of weeks ago, my son and I went to a local hangout and we were standing around talking to some people and all of a sudden this Katana 750 is sliding down the street, with a rider and female passenger, both in jeans, t-shirts and helmets. The rider received a broken leg and some roadrash, the passenger somehow climbed up on top of the rider and bike and she looked ok. Moral is, I will always wear my jacket no matter how hot the weather is, because you never know when you are going down and I want to be dressed for the fall and not dressed with bandages from the fall.
I wear my helmet, gloves, cordura jacket, boots, and jeans every time I ride.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 03:21 PM
Squidwannabe

Yellow thong , sandals

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 03:49 PM

Helmet, gloves, jacket (leather or cordura best, but I will sometimes go in my jeans jacket the two miles to work when it is very warm), boots and jeans. As for jeans, I usually wear the Draggin' Jeans. Bought a few pairs so I always have a clean pair. Plus, now that they are in black I can even wear them to work!

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 06:11 PM

how do you like the draggin jeans? I had thought about getting a couple but wanted to find someone who had used them?

------------------
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 06:31 PM

When I ride I wear pants, usually jeans, helmet, gloves, and jacket. My daily shoes are my Alpinestar's. I get weird looks and some questions but I feel safer with boots on rather than sneakers.
When my buddy got hit by a car (20 yards in front of me) his tennis shoes were chewed up pretty well and he ended up with both ankles fractured. It is hard to have a respectable limp when you limp on both sides. It no longer looks cool, just goofy.

------------------
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 10:47 AM

I always wear my armoured leather jacket, jeans, and my Doc's. I crash tested my Doc Marten's, and I must say they hold up extremely well. I don't wear gloves. I just can't get used to them, I fumble a bit when I do wear them, so I just go without.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 12:19 PM

For me it really depends on the weather, and the riding I am going out to do. Usually (95% of the time) I will wear at least my jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet (duh!). When it is really hot and humid, and I am just going to work or running errands, I will go in a t-shirt, gloves, boots and helmet (duh!). I know, I know, a t-shirt is just asking for road rash, but so what? I have had my share of road rash in my day, but I just find it unbearable to wear a jacket on really sticky days. Now if I am going for a blast through the twisties, I will NEVER go without my jacket, since the time spent standing still is minimal, and the chances of a get-off are much higher. In the city, in traffic, a jacket is more of a danger to me than protection. When I start getting all hot and sweaty inside it, I lose concentration and get aggravated, which is more dangerous than any road rash possibility.

------------------
Rossco.

[This message has been edited by Rossco929 (edited September 11, 2000).]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 03:15 PM

I like the Draggin' Jeans. They have a fit sort of like a Levi's regular loose cut, but the kevlar in the knees and seat make them a bit stiffer than the Levi's. Not uncomfortable, mind you, just a bit solider. Anyway, I sure feel a little better protected from road rash with them on. Not the impact, as they don't help with that as a good pair of armored pants do, but you can't wear leathers to work, either!

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:00 PM

I can't wear leathers to work, but no one complains when I wear my leather chaps over my zebra striped thong!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode