Oil Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Has anyone tried using Mobil 1 in their bike? If so what weight did you use and how did the oil perform.

I have been using Bel-Ray SemiSynth and I'm sick of having oil diappear. No oil leaks it just disappears.

Thank you in advance

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 04:08 PM

Yippeee! more oil chat.
I've tried it and many other oils, they all generally make my bike go "vroom, vroom". Now I buy "brand X" oil for $.99/qt.- the oil still disappears, but less of my money goes with it.

------------------
'98 Superhawk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 04:29 PM

i used mobil one car oil in my previous bikes. never had a problem. valve adjustments weren't needed very often. clutch wear was normal. i never used the mobil synth bike oils, but i'll prolly try them at some point in time. i want to try motul next.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 05:14 PM

I used Honda GN4 in my '95 CBR900RR, and now in my 929 as well. None of my oil ever "disappears", at least not any significant amount. I change it every 3000 miles, and have never had to add any in between changes. Yes, I check it before every ride.

------------------
Rossco.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 07:35 PM

I have used Motul Full synthetic on my previous bike and i am currently using Bel-Ray EXS Full Synthetic and i am very happy with it so far on my current ride.

I would AVOID Golden Spectro, as i blew a gear pack and spun a main on my previous bike while using it. (two separate incidents, all the while keeping clean oil, and regular changes, etc)

As far as oil disappearing? My oil stays the same level until i change it or syphon it out (it was too high). But i do remember (honest) that several SBW members were noting that the R1 and R6 are oil eaters.

Its a Yamoilha thing... i wouldnt understand.

------------------
Fear Green.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 03:20 PM

I just finished the break-in period on my ZR750F2, so I am still using regular dino-juice. On my old EX500 (great bike, isn't it!) I also used regular oil. Just changed it every 2500 miles with a new filter. Haven't had any disappear on me yet.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I think I'm goig to try the Mobil 1 synth oil. Walmart seems to have a good price on it anyway.

My 500 and my CB250 never lost oil either just the R6. Must be those crazy revs. If my hips could move that fast I would be way popular. :P

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 03:35 AM

About the Golden Spectro, Green. I put 86k on my 85 900 Ninja, and ~105k on my 90 ZX11 using Golden Spectro, and neither of those engines ever had any oil type problems. In fact, I took the oil pan off the 900 before I sold it, and the inside of that engine was clean enough to eat off of, not a speck of anything anywhere. The 12's innards are happily spinning in it right now. Not only does G. S. promote easier, smoother shifting, but if you use it regularly you'll never get sick, you won't get any older, and you'll never die!!

------------------
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 05:21 AM

Leon, lucky you... but if it happens to you someday you will change your tune... just dont say i didnt warn you. Engine and tranny failure on a motorcycle with less the 15K miles, well maintained, non abused and clean, can only be attributed to the oil it is running. Thats my take on it. I was just lucky it was 100% covered both times by an extended factory warranty. Oh well, who knows, i just dont want it to happen again, so G.S. wont be involved with any bike of mine.

------------------
Fear Green.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 05:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

I run regular old car oil, change it every
2k ~ 3k. No problems. I've run all the
other oils, and yeah the synthetics do shift
a little smoother but other than that I have
found no major diff.

Chris

------------------
"If you spent more time worrying about you I wouldn't have to."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode