Sportbike World banner

AZ Riders !WARNING!

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  AZ Scott 
#1 ·
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you plan to ride through Wickenburg on any of your rides watch out for the cops. There is one cop in town that has a thing for pulling over bikes. He looks for anything he can write a ticket on. His biggest thing is eye protection. That means keep you visor down the whole way through town. My friend and I were riding through today and I we were doing 32 in a 45 MPH zone (should be safe right?), the A-Hole whips his car around and pulls my friend over. My friend is from out of state and didn't know that you had to keep your visor down at all times (aparently) (He only had the visor open halfway) So the PIG writes a ticket for no eye protection, no warning, NOTHING! This same prick wrote 3 other riders last weekend for the same thing. I guess since he can't write a speeding ticket he has to go for minor crap. So just be aware of this PRICK!

YAMAHA

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
YAMAHA

[This message has been edited by VYPIR (edited September 10, 2000).]

See less See more
#3 ·
You guys should all get together and ride thru town with sunglasses on and your visors open :) Bring the AZ state drivers handbook along and then show it to the poopoo head who thinks it's fun to harass us bikers :mad:

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

#4 ·
I would ride by with the glasses and helmet showing him the finger.

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

#5 ·
According to the Arizona Title 28 Statutes, you are required to "wear eye protection". Where does it say that a face shield has to be all the way down to count?

"28-964. Motorcycles; all-terrain vehicles; motor driven cycles; equipment; exception; prohibition

A. An operator or passenger of a motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle who is under eighteen years of age shall wear at all times a protective helmet on the operator's or passenger's head in an appropriate manner. The protective helmet shall be safely secured while the operator or passenger is operating or riding on the motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle. An operator of a motorcycle, all- terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle shall wear at all times protective glasses, goggles or a transparent face shield of a type approved by the director unless the motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle is equipped with a protective windshield. This subsection does not apply to electrically powered three wheeled vehicles or three wheeled vehicles on which the operator and passenger ride within an enclosed cab."

That guy's got some nerve giving an "eye protection" ticket to someone who obviously cares enough to be wearing a damn HELMET, when it's not even required!

I suppose if some cruiser squid went rolling by, wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and sunglasses, hey, no problem! But YOU, Mister face-shield-cracked-open, YOU are a hazard and a menace, and this ticket is for your own good!

What a Jag-off!

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

#7 ·
So I fired off an email to wickenburg. Got a quick, friendly reply.

On 9/11/00 4:09 AM, "chuckc" <chuckc@aye.net> wrote: If this is true, one of your fine officers needs more training in dealing with the public. http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000779.html

The reply:

Interesting, but you're sending this on to the wrong person. wickenburg-az.com has no affiliation with the town's government. I don't even know who I can forward this to.

Why not send a message to the Chamber of Commerce? They have a Web site,too, although I'm not sure if it's still maintained. There must be an e-mail address there.

Good luck and ride safe.

Maria
Ducati 900 SSCR

------------------

#8 ·
So I fired off an email to wickenburg. Got a quick, friendly reply.

On 9/11/00 4:09 AM, "chuckc" <chuckc@aye.net> wrote: If this is true, one of your fine officers needs more training in dealing with the public: http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000779.html

The reply:

Interesting, but you're sending this on to the wrong person. wickenburg-az.com has no affiliation with the town's government. I don't even know who I can forward this to.

Why not send a message to the Chamber of Commerce? They have a Web site,too, although I'm not sure if it's still maintained. There must be an e-mail address there.

Good luck and ride safe.

Maria
Ducati 900 SSCR

------------------

#9 ·
I think that you should file a complaint against the officer for Harassment, since you were riding and wearing your safety equipment legally. I can't wait to go back to AZ, just to drive thru town and see if he stops me :) :) :) Number 40 coming up :D

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

#11 ·
That's another term which is up for interpretation.

I'm pretty certain they're going to say that a "protective" windscreen is one that extends above the rider's eye-level, like on a touring bike.

Think about it: If they say that you're "not wearing eye protection" if your face shield is flipped open, they're certainly not going to consider an R1 windscreen to be "protective".

Unfortunately, if VYPIR's friend goes to court in Wickenburg, the chances are the local "hanging judge" is going to be in on this deal with the cop.

His best bet is to try and have the hearing moved to a town closer to his, so there's a "neutral" judge to hear his case.

This whole thing is bullsh*t...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.