Finally tested the tires - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

They Suck! After getting tired of having to spend so much replacing softer compound tires(Battle-axe, and Metzlers) I thought I would try the Dunlop 205's. Obviously, being in Nebraska, I have a lot of straight, flat riding. I didn't think there would be such a huge difference. We went out to a place called "The Maze". It's an area on the edge of town the city built hoping people would build houses in. Several blocks of curvy, deserted streets, perfect for riding. It's really like a little track. Anyway, took a few laps slow, then stepped it up. Dropped the bike into the first left-hander and almost low-sidded. The tires slid out from under me, then when I recovered, was rewarded with a nice little tank-slapper. Thank God for steering dampers! Two corners later, coming out of an s-curve the rear tire decides to let go as I am on the gas, another slapper. Stopped the bike to look at the street and the tires. You could see the little black marks on the pavement where the rear tire was sliding back and forth in the slappers. I was riding the lip of the tire, but that's the LAST time. You could even see the horizontal slide marks in the tire that ran off the lip from side-slides.

It is amazing how much confidence your tires can give you(or take from you). I now have to be really careful just riding around town. And the stupid things will probably last forever. Be careful what you wish for.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:13 PM

That sucks!!!Sorry to hear that you "laid her down".Ya gotta stick with what works...Those Dunlops absolutely sucked on my bike.(very similar to yours)What was the problem with bike???Was it the coils or what???I'm curious...Jimmy G

------------------
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:24 PM
Squidwannabe

Hey Hammer,
I have a Dunlop 205 in the front and boy does it blow!!! My bike does Tank slappers too (because of tire)...and I can't ever do a STOPPIE !!!!!! Shitty tire!!! I do not like them at all!!!!!

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should have re-phrased that. I didn't lay it down, "dropped it into the corner", just leaning over. The bike still isn't running right. I was told it was the "Black Box". It runs fine, just can't go over 8 grand on the tach. New V&H power pak should solve the prob, just haven't had the cash to get it yet. Too many home projects on the list first.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:25 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
Did you ask around before you jumped into thant set? I would of warned you. Softer is better, there are only two types of tires I would prefer to use. The 207's gp and the pilot racers. They might be a little more expensive and wear out a little faster, but you have to juggle the decisions, pay more for a tire or pay to have my bike fixed when the low/high-side happens. JMO.

------------------
John

http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/1144987
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - e.e. cummings
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

D205s are known for falling apart too!!

Hammer I'm feeling for ya.

------------------
"If you spent more time worrying about you I wouldn't have to."

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited September 05, 2000).]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:12 PM

Unhappy

I had the 205's on the front, when I got the bird.

Yeah I have to agree, they suck.

Currently have a BT020 on the rear, it seems fine. It's not sticky, but it holds it's lines good as gold.

Ross

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:29 PM

Angry

I'm not really sure what the problem is. I've not laid mine to the very edge of the tire but I've done my share of peg scraping and no problems in my 4000 plus miles on my rear 205. I'm running a 207 on the front just to be safe. I DID notice that after some hard riding for a long period of time that I had overheated the tire and the whole thing had turned blue. But it never once made me feel unsafe. I suppose my chicken strips are about 1/8 inch on either side so I don't drop her all the way over so I can't say what would happen if I did so. Did you have them fully scrubbed in? I know mine were slick as sh*t for several miles.

------------------
Chris (H-Man) Pyle
'99 F4-S/T
Ride Smart, Ride Far
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jk6672:
The 207's gp and the pilot racers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hm. i'm using pilot sports right now, and really happy with them for... how you say... "spirited" road riding.

------------------
99 sv650 (red)

Austin Sportbikes

DoD #X
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 01:03 PM

Cool

I put 207's on my 92 VFR and noticed a huge difference in traction from the 205's I had on previously. If I pinned it off the line the 205s would just spin the 207s hook up.
just my 2cents worth

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode