Riding discomfort - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I'm a new rider 5'10 150, that finished the MSF course couple months ago and finally bought a 2000 Suzuki GSXR600.

I don't feel any discomfort while riding, but once I get off the bike, I have some pain in my right knee, the left side ( I think MRL). I'm wondering if its my riding stance. My wrist and back and everything else is fine.

I did do some modifications just recently on my riding stance, by moving my body back, so my legs are more in a right angle than angled back, but unfortunately its been thunder storming like crazy and don't have any results from the change.

Some good advice would be nice.
Thank you.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 11:56 AM

Unhappy

I know just what you mean. My guess would be this. A lot of people when they first start riding (I still catch myself doing this occasionaly) tense up alot. Often staying tensed for LONG periods of time. Then after a while your knee starts to hurt where all the tendons and ligaments attach. Try to pay attention the next time you are riding and see if you catch yourself doing this. I'd say this is most likely what is happening.

------------------
Chris (H-Man) Pyle
'99 F4-S/T
Ride Smart, Ride Far
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 03:10 AM

Are you using your legs to hug the bike? I know that in MSF, they teach you to squeeze the bike with your legs - like when riding a horse, but you are only suppose to do this when the back end slides out.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 04:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i agree with the stmts above. you're liking too tense.

relax, it'll help you ride better too.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 12:21 PM

Before I ride, I stretch out.My hips & legs cramp-up on me . stretching helps A 250 mile hard ride I can't walk into the house. my knees hurts so bad ! 33 feels like I am 80

------------------
Ken
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 04:00 PM

I agree with the idea that it is a lot of tension. Also, staying in one position for a long time can cause pain. I try to move around some when I ride, sliding back and forth a bit on the seat and also altering my posture. Then again, I find the bars and position of my ZR750F2 almost perfect...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 04:39 PM

I agree with the tension part.

Sometimes it's not even something you notice. Every once in a while I will be out on a ride and feel like me and the bike aren't communicating, when I start thinking about it, I realize my hands and shoulders are very tense and my deathgrip on the clip-ons is fighting the bike's movements in the corners, making the situation even worse, a couple of deep breaths and conscious effort to relax and things get much better.

Also give your body some time to get adjusted to the funny contorted positions that modern sportbikes put us into. I used to get some cramps in my left leg when I first started riding my F4, but the cramps disappeared after a couple of months. Also you may want to work on stomach/back muscle exercizes, these help you keep weight off your wrists and legs.

--John
'00 F4

[This message has been edited by JohnF4 (edited September 04, 2000).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:00 PM

I think that the Gixxers prefer smaller framed people, like 5'8" and under. With time you will relax and feel comfortable with the bike. Comfort comes with confidence.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode