New-B Info Needed (please) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Hey everyone,
i just aquired a 1992 Yamaha Seca II. it's got 270000 on it and i know it was very well taken care of. the owner drove it regulary and it starts up no problem. it fell over in the grass once but has never been down while moveing. i have never been on a bike but have always wanted to learn.(except an old mini bike ) i'm wondering if there is some place out there that will teach me to ride. also i know nothing about bikes. is the yamaha seca a decent starter? should i sell it and look for a different one?(it was free to me ) i'm gonna be commuting to work and back('bout 50 miles) and rideing it for fun once i know how. any suggestions or info would be much appericiated(Thanks)

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

oops.....that's 27,000 miles. not 270,000.
sorry, i got a little happy with the 0's

------------------
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 11:17 AM

Hey Joie, check the the DMV, they usually offer a motorcycle driving course. It's not all that extensive but they can teach you the basics.

------------------
Tony
00 CBR 929rr
95 Camaro Z28

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 01:31 PM

Joie,

Take a safe riders course for MSF. They cost around $50 but lower your insurance (in most cases) and teach a lot about techniques and reactions. Its a must for every rider.

A little other advice is of course buy some good gear that fits and never get over confident. Enjoy the whole experience!

------------------
Dave

600 Bandit
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 04:28 PM

Free bikes are the best kind, and the Seca should thrill you for at least a year. Take an MSF course and have fun!

------------------
'98 Superhawk
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for you info. i have signed up for a motorcycle safty course. the only thing is that i have to wait until september to take it cause they are booked up until then.
and i took the bike out for the first time today. it was quite fun, although i never went faster than 35mph. i just took it around the neighborhood for about 15 min. it was pretty easy. although i still have tons of respect for the machine and know i still have lots to learn. and nobody told me anything 'bout the seca. does that mean it's a peice of dookie? i mean, i appreciate you guys going with the "if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" quote kinda thing, but hey, i'm a big guy...i can take it. remember, it was free to me. and free thing are always good, but they must be free for a reason? or mabey you guys don't have any experience with the seca? anyways.......thanks for the direction. any helpful hints would be welcomed. thanks again..........Joey

------------------
Joie

92 Seca II
92 Stealth RT
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:23 AM

There is nothing wrong with Seca's. As long as it's in good running condition you will get a lot of good use out of it.

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 10:56 AM

Welcome, Joie, nothing wrong with a Seca, it's a good bike to start on. While you're riding around the neighborhood, practice your braking. Use mostly front brake (right handlebar) and little rear brake (right foot). Start out slowly at first, and practice until you can stop very quickly. This is the single most important thing to learn. Loved Cowtown, used to hook up with the Freedom riders down on Alma School rd.
Enjoie!!

------------------
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:02 PM

A free bike? You lucky dog. The Seca will be a great bike to start off on. Like somebody else said, take a course. Also, NEVER be tempted to ride beyond your skill level to try and keep up with another rider. In my experience, that is how most new riders go down. If you ride with more experienced riders, always plan some "catch up stops" along your ride where they can stop and wait for you to catch up.

------------------
Rossco.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Well......i found out the hard way that you are not supposeta give her any gas in a corner.(i think) i gave her some gas and we went strait to the curb.(oops!) bikes fine. no cracks, scrapes or anything!! and i'm still alive!! luckly, i landed in the grass. the guy was out doing yard work and was quite nice about it. i thanked him for the grass and went on. wow. my first mess up and i'm stil alive. gald i got that out of the way.(hopefully) but really, did i just do it wrong? or is my experience correct.(no gas on a turn) i mean, the experience tells me that it's wrong, but again, i have no other experience with bikes and don't know any better.(ignorance is my excuse on this one)
i know, i know...it's not a good excuse, but i do not plan on useing it long. thanks

------------------
Joie

92 Seca II
92 Stealth RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode