Squids on the roads.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:55 AM
lo_syde2

Thumbs down

This may be news to all, but lately around my area there has been an increase in the number of people rid'n witout a jacket, gloves, helmets, heck, even shoes for that matter! It's going to sandals, shorts, and bikinis, what gives? They must've never hit the pavement, DOH!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:08 AM

they seem to be everywhere.

i cannot count the number of kids on bikes i've pulled over that just have no clue about proper riding gear...

pain in the hardest lesson to learn.

------------------
busting bad guys
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:49 PM

Not everyone will get totally suited up just to make a trip to blockbuster or anyother close trip. I know that if I'm in my jeans and a t-shirt, and I want to go get a video or something, I'll go as is with some shoes on. I'm not going to go through all the hassle of getting suited up just to make a 5 -10 minute trip, or for that matter, any close trip.
Ok, with that said, when I do go on more "serious" rides, sure i'll break out the leathers, and the whole nine yards, but for me, I don't have to look like Darth Vader everytime I ride my bike. That's just my opinion.

peace out.

------------------

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:55 PM

I agree with sixxer. For just scooting around town and running errands, I will often go in a t-shirt, especially if it is very hot outside like it is now. Putting around town in leathers sucks. Too many red lights to sit and cook at. Of course, when I go for a real ride with my riding buddies, I wear full equipment. I might just add that I NEVER ride without my gloves and foot wear that provides proper ankle protection and has steel toes, no matter how hot it is, or how short the trip may be. Before you ask, yes I have been down, and more than once (three times, if you want me to be specific).

------------------
Rossco.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 02:34 PM

Man, I hate it like anyone else, but even if it is 105 F I still throw on m heavy armored leather jacket, gloves, boots, and jeans... I throw the leathers on when ever the boyz and I are going out to rip it up... I won't hop on the bike w/out my gear...

Most accidents happen close to home so you know it doesn't really matter to the ground if you are going down the street or are only going to be on the bike for a minute... It doesn't matter...

Just my .O2...

KIRSTY!!

------------------
"No, this isn't my boyfriend's bike..."
My web site www.geocities.com/hondahuney
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 03:50 PM

When it's hot and humid out getting dressed properly is a pain, but much less of one than road rash. I usually am in my Draggin' jeans (at least some protection), gloves and my cordura jacket, which seems a bit cooler than my perforated leather AGV Rage. But on a warm day and with a long ride ahead out comes the leather...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 04:38 PM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
I've ridden a few times around town with nothing but a pair of glasses and a backpack and its made me feel out of place with-out a helmet,gloves, and jacket. I usually wear everything but leather pants and boots unless I'm hitting the trail. Even though I've done it IMO it's pretty stupid to go with-out protective gear, especialy if you have the gear. I think statistically most accidents occur within a few blocks form your own home, someone correct me if I'm wrong, so that and hearing of people wrecking just running an arron is why I atleast wear a helmet, jacket, gloves every time now.

------------------
John
http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/1144987

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 04:47 PM

I could agree T-shirt jeans and no leather but absolutly NOT without a helmet. I was involved in a accident coming home from work and a car pulled in front of me right in front of my house. Let me tell you road burn on the face is the most pain I have ever felt, After a month in the hospital after reconstructive surgery I never had to be reminded to wear my helmet. It's great to have fun but we all have to be safe, remember nobody looks out for us we have to look out for ourselves.

------------------
If your not living on the edge your taking up too much space!

[This message has been edited by GPz750A2 (edited August 31, 2000).]
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 06:55 PM

Like my American Express card, I never leave home without it (my helmet). Besides, its the law in California. But even if it wasn't, I would wear it nonetheless.
peace out

------------------
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:23 PM

Cool

I think that 99% of us can agree that the helmet is BY FAR the most important piece of equipment you can wear. Even though I don't believe there should be a law requiring me to wear one, I would NEVER ride without one. The rest of the gear is incremental in it's insurance value. Personally, I never ride without a helmet and gloves, but not always with full leathers. I am fully aware of the risks to my skin of wearing a t-shirt and crashing, and I'm willing to accept that on short jaunts around town. I'd have to say that 90% of the sportbike riders in my town are in t-shirts in the summer. Even if I'm in full leathers heading out for a longer jaunt, I don't think anything less of the guy in shorts I might see. We all live with a multitude of risks in every aspect of life, and it's up to each person to choose the amount of insurance we require. It would be the same debate on some Insurance chat site (Oh, I'm sure there is one!) where people might be arguing about how much life insurance they have! Ha ha!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode