Newbie here, need advice - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Hey all, I've been lurking on the boards here for a while, checking things out. I'm going to get a bike in the next few months, and had a few questions. You guys all seem pretty helpful, so here goes..

My info:
I'm 26, 6'1", 160lbs. Live in LA. (feel like I'm placing a singles ad) I plan on taking things very slowly in terms of my riding abilities, and have no illusions about popping wheelies or doing 120mph anywhere. Very conservative stuff. I've been riding dirt bikes quite a bit, but never even sat on a sportbike.
I'd like to spend $2k - $3k on a new bike, plus gear.

Questions:
Size - I was looking at a Ninja 250, but this board convinced me to up to an EX500 or a 600 something. I'd like to eventually be able to take my girlfriend on the back of the bike and cruise around. Is a 250 out of the question?

Honda or Kawasaki - Give the size (250 - 600) and my $$, I'm looking at Ninjas and CBRs. Also, what about a Seca? They seem inexpensive, any thoughts?

Shipping - I might look in Phoenix too (I'm there alot). Anyone know what it takes to ship a bike between states? Cost, Time, etc.?

Miles - How many is too many? Most of the ads I've seen for used bikes are around 14k to 20k. Is this alot for a bike that's a few years old? For cars, people put on 10k to 14k miles a year, for bikes I really have no frame of reference.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I just read the post below about the Seca, so forget that part...

------------------
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:41 AM

Thumbs up

Yes, a 250 is way too small for you if you have been riding dirt bikes. At 6"1' it would be brutal and bore you too dead. Motorcyclist's october issue addresses this stuff. An EX500 or GS500 would work well for you for a year or 2. Some of the budget 600 would be a good bet, Kantana, Secca, Bandit, the old Ninja 600. These bikes are all good for well over 30,000 if well cared for.

Be careful to not get an abused starter bike. many people buy these bikes riden for a couple of years with little or no maintenance. All of them need regular maintenance to assure a long life. Check the chain and sprockets, tires and oil for signs of abuse. There are a lot of good buys out there for under 3K if you shop.

Good luck

------------------

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 12:11 PM

Look for an older(mid-90s) Honda CBR600F3(F2), Yamaha YZF600R, FZR600, Suzuki Katana 600/750, or Kawasaki ZX-6D(or whatever that last letter is supposed to be).

The mileage you mentioned is not bad for these bikes and all are capable of 2-up. These bikes are also pretty easy to learn on.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 06:11 PM

I like the EX-500 myself. I found it to be quite a blast to ride. It is definately a capable bike and pretty durable as well. (I know first hand) A 250 is way too small unless it's an NSR.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 04:02 PM

I agree with considering an EX/Ninja 500. It is a great bike to learn on. It's easy to ride, smooth power delivery, enough power to be interesting but not too much to get you in trouble too soon. And you can go two up on it, though it does tax the motor a bit. However as it is nearly bulletproof if taken care of that will work out.

You can find a pretty clean example for $2,500 or there abouts. Plenty of spare parts around, so look for a clean example.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 08:00 PM

Just so you know, I had never ridden dirtbikes or anything before I got my bike. Two of my friends plus myself all bought 600's (my FZR, an F3, and a katana). All of us learned to ride them with nothing more major than a 2 mph fall over. I would think since you have ridden dirtbikes that you could get a 600 and learn to ride it pretty easily and still have the power under you to not be bored with it once you did learn. I LOVE my FZR, but looking back, I think it is a little high-strung to learn on. The katana and CBR seem much smoother and not as "jumpy". Not really a major concern, but just something to think about. I also think the Katana has a better seat for carrying a passenger compared to my FZR. I am sure most people wouldn't recommend the katana, but it has worked out well for my friend. As stated before, I would stay away from the 250.

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 09:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
2000-3000 for bike and gear, yikes!!!

okay, try a cbr600f1 (hurricane 600) with a lot of miles. should be around 2000.

next, get a good helmet, arai, shoei, agv, hjc, look at spend 300-600 depending on how styling you wanna be.

newenough.com should help you with the rest of your gear.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 02:11 PM

If you want to go two up, I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 600.

------------------
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:53 PM

I just bought a nice 1990 Kawasaki EX500(pre-Ninja) with only 1487 miles for $2000.00. It also has the Lockhart lower cowling(current list about $400.00).The bike is almost perfect.It redlines like at 11,000 rpm or something(which I don't plan to ever see).I haven't ridden it two-up yet, so I can't say anything on that subject.The bike is great fun to ride, and this from a guy with 36 years and 15 other motorcycles behind him.I wasn't even looking for a "sports bike" per se, but when I saw the add, I decided to go for a look.I fell in love with the bike during the road test, but I should say that I don't care about the latest, high tech, fastsest, etc. But from what I've heard, don't get the 250 Ninja if you are 6' tall and plan to ride two-up.
Birdmove

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode