azaro review & mondays ride - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

monday was a great day. i met wtemplton & yellowjacket in denver for a day in the mountains. i had about 200 miles on my new azaro tires & took 105 to wades house.. i was running late but didnt speed real hard, i was heading down his street as he was leaving to meet yj. when we met up w/yj i got some gas & food & then we headed up golden canyon (? right guys). very nice & tight road.. 2nd & a few 3rdgear corners the whole way. a little bumby towards the top but nice... only 1 patch of sand when we 1st started. short break on top.. then off to mount evans through black hawk & idaho springs. there was road construction so the stretch to blackhawk was a bit slow. oh.. the avons are like glue so far.. w/lots of feed back & confidence.. plus at our break i noticed that i still have a good 1 1/4 inch of tire to use. we start up evans hitting some sweet switch backs but a couple had some major bumbs.. have u ever been airborn while leaned over almost all the way? wade was.. i dont think my front left the ground but i know my rear did. break time.. ive now used all but about a 3/8 in of my tire. looks like some weather is moving in.. so we keep going.. cold near the summit but sunny on the other side.. when we get to evergreen it starts to sprinkle even though the sun is still out & we stop for lunch.. it rains a bit.. not much & we head out when it has almost stopped.. wet weather grip is very good at this point. small break for wade to take off his rain suit (what a pu$$Y ) & we r off to his house. it now about 3 in the afternoon & after some water & sh!t shootin yj & i head out.. clouds look mean over the rockies. i take my exit give yj a wave & head up 285.. the 1st 3 or 4 miles are very nice.. then its like a monsoon.. i couldnt see tailights more than 2 cars in front of me. i thought i missed my turn so i stop at a gas station ask directions & get a little food. i head out when it lets up again (but there is some street flooding about 6 inch in some spots). it gets heavy again & i barely see my turn. once im on it after about 1/4 mile its not raining.. its sunny but the road is wet.. still very good wet grip (good enough to catch some traffic & pass it). then it drys out & im back on the gas... ive never been on 126 that far north & oh my god.. its great.. i pass my last car for several miles & just spend countless miles at my pace on warm sunny colorado back roads. get to deckers & its still nice so of course im making good time.. the wham.. monsoon... confident from my previous wet corners i am moving as fast as visibility will let me.. then i dunno.. maybe a tar strip or oil or anti freeze.. dear poop.. or sumthin else wet.. mid corner.. i start to low side.. i correct.. then fish tail the other way.. i wobbled 1/2 way into the other lane (thank god it was a right hander) & recover... i am now driving like a b!tch until its dry. once im home i reflect.. GREAT F*(ING DAY. definatly worth the lost income for not going to work... total 370sumthin on the trip odometer but since the gearing is changed prolly closer to 330 miles... w/3 or 4 pit stops & lunch.

like i said.. i love the avons. the 39/40's may be a bit to good for the street.. or my body position is off.. i didnt touch my knee down the whole day.. but it was probably my body postition cause on the way home i finished leaning over the rear tire & didnt scrape a peg or n e thing (but then again scraping hard parts has nothing to do w/dragging knees).

i would say the other 2 had a good ride.. wade needs leathers & yj leaned further than he has ever leaned before.. but they will have to confirm that their selfs.

L8r.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 11:32 AM

Damn that pretty much sums up the day, Sorry to hear about the weather on the way home. I got lucky it held out until I got home. Once again thanks for the great experience we will have to meet up again soon and try again. Take it easy!

------------------
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 05:09 AM

Thumbs up

Hey Cam, I have a quick question, what gear and rpms were you at when you hit the twisties on Mt.evens? I am still trying to figure how hot to come into a corner and at what rpm range. I think I am in way to high a gear when i hit the corners so I bog it out of the corner. I know it is different for everyone just give me an approximation? thanks!

------------------

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

since i have a 600 that is stock except for gearing (-2 in front) i have to keep my rpms higher than the 900's.. but i think even if i did have an open class bike i would have higher rpms n e way.. those horse shoes that we went into marked at 20mph i was in 2nd gear entered at about 8k then opened the gas & held it constant at about 8 to 8.5 until the apex.. from there i hit the gas smoothly but constantly opening it until i was straight up at which point i was wide open & near red line.. since it was a street ride i didnt usually shift just coast to the next corner & engine brake.. or if i did shift i would usually take the next corner in 3rd.. just depended on the radius of the next corner. i barely touched my brakes the whole day going into a corner unless i was running up wades arse.. but i tried to keep a large gap in between us so that wouldnt happen.. which was pretty easy cause his bird would pull away from me on almost every exit. i prefer to stay out of second... but 3rd in most of those would have had me bogging & 1st isnt really a cornering gear (though i may have had some wheelies out of some corners). 4,5,6th didnt see any use unless it was when we were just cruising on the 2 lane or breaking the law on i-70

------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 03:39 AM
wtempleton

Yea guys,nice ride.....we did have to outrun some storms but overall a pretty good day.So Speedy,126 down to Deckers is nice....glad you liked it.Thats the way we went when we met you for the races at PPIR.Glad you had some dry pavement to get on it.YJ has one of the nicest 900RRs I have ever seen.Lets do another ride soon.How about we all meet at my house then do 285 to 126 and out all the way to Woodland park then out to Cripple Creek...then Speed can just wick it home from there and the rest of us can just head back up to Deckers and home.

------------------
xxman

[This message has been edited by wtempleton (edited September 01, 2000).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

that will work for me.. i was gonna try a track day on monday but probably wont make it.. traffic will be crazy this weekend.. maybe next.. but in the next 2 weekends im hopefully going to philly to buy a car..
http://www.geocities.com/treasureroom/sterling.html

just throw some days out there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SpeedPhreak (edited September 01, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode