The "Hurt" Study - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:51 AM
Pete

Some of you may have already seen this, but for those that haven't, it's a decent read:
http://kiwi.dhs.org/nighthawk/hurt_study.html

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up

Very interesting stuff - thanks for the post!!

------------------
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:09 AM

I read an interview with Mr. Hurt a few months ago in Motorcycle Consumer News. One of his recommendations to avoid accidents was to ALWAYS ride with a couple of fingers on the front brake.
I mentioned this suggestion in a different rider's forum and that created quite a stir. Apparently a lot of MSF instructors would NOT agree with that suggestion. There would appear to be a difference of opinion on that one. Some say keeping fingers on the brake saves a few nano-seconds, others say you should keep yer fingers on the grip. Don't know which is best personally.
In any case, Hurt knows his stuff. He's a biker too. The study is due for an update, as this one is almost twenty years old. Hopefully the funding will come along soon. Anything to help us stay alive a little longer is welcome.

------------------
...I don't want a pickle
I just wanna ride my motor - sickle...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 05:33 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting this link. It re-enforces most of what I have thought all along about being a safe rider. I have been riding over 20 years on the street without injury or major damage to my bike. I think every new rider should read the Hurt study information and take the lessons learned to heart.

I work in manufacturing and it is amazing how accurate statistics prove to be. That is why I object to insurance companies charging me such high rates when the probility of my having an accident is quite low. Hense the reason I no longer carry collision of my bikes.

Ride safe

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode