Our Great Media Image - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Check this site out. http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/art...2000Aug17.html

In a nutshell, the article talks about how fast sport bikes are and as usual, the negative activity that goes along with owning these kinds of bikes. As usual, the article contains a quote from some random asshole who makes us all look like idiots. With idiots like this representing sportbike riders, I can see why the media loves us. This crap has got to come to an end. Anyone else agree?

------------------
I guess I was reading the RPM gauge officer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 03:44 AM

For some reason, I couldn't load the picture, but I skimmed through the article.

QUOTE:

"It's become fashionable," Gunn said. "It's in style. Motorcycles are hot. They're sexy."

Funny, that's not why I bought my bike.

Seems to me that the entire article is making all of us out to be squids.

------------------
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 04:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i'm disappointed that they didn't at least talk to people like marrc or nesba or teampromotion and discussed safe alteratives to speeding through the 395 tunnels, which i'd bet is a blast. but it doesn't sell papers.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited August 18, 2000).]

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 05:05 AM

Thumbs down

tony i agree! they should have spoken with nesba or someone. for those of you who dont know the DC Sportbike Assoc. (which was quoted in the article) is notorious for their squidly activities. they are the east coast version of the vegas extremes. not good

---------
arif
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 05:13 AM
hy_syde

hey now,

i frequent the DCSR site and know a lot of those guys... the President of the club "GC" set that interview up with te reporter to try and give a positive and respnsible side to our sport.

Unfortunately, you can't control what someone prints, and the article in whole ended up backfiring. Trust me, the DCSR guys do ride hard and fast at times, but they are like what was portrayed.

It's just that the reporter has to sell papers, and hooligan crotch rockets sounds a lot better than safety minder sportriders...

not to mention that the article quoted a bunch sloe @ss old ppl riding GOLD WINGS!!!!

------------------
FASTER THAN A SPEEDING TICKET!!!

Austin Sportbike Board
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 06:36 AM

Cool

I'm upset that the author thinks that a Suzuki Bandit is a fast and mean race bike. I suppose he forgot to list Katana and Buell Blast as well!

------------------
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 06:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by arif CBRF4:
tony i agree! they should have spoken with nesba or someone. for those of you who dont know the DC Sportbike Assoc. (which was quoted in the article) is notorious for their squidly activities. they are the east coast version of the vegas extremes. not good

---------
arif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you all can do something to support the post checking with a track organization next time, e-mail [email protected] and tell them how you feel. i did.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 07:59 AM

i should have been a little clearer about my earlier statement which might have come across as stereotyping. it was not my intention to bash the DC riders assoc.

however i know a few members who have that squidly attitude. that surely does not describe the entire association. i am sure that being a large organization it gets its fair share of squids and responsible members.

unfortunately, the only ones that i met happened to be the squidly type and that has kept me away from the organization so far. i agree i should look further into it and find the right kind.

sorry if i upset any members from the organization.

----------
arif
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 09:18 AM

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GSXR750:
I'm upset that the author thinks that a Suzuki Bandit is a fast and mean race bike. I suppose he forgot to list Katana and Buell Blast as well!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously, you've never rode a Buell Blast, that thing screams Seriously, has anyone out there ever seen one on the road, know a friend of a friend whose 2nd cousin's sister bought one....anything?

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

[This message has been edited by RUG BURN (edited August 18, 2000).]
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 01:58 PM

I read the article and it is biased, pretty normal in the newspaper business these days. Sometimes it seems the truth comes after the need to sell newspapers.

Anyway, speed isn't a bad thing, just different from the older biker, cruiser image. Changing that isn't a bad thing either...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode