Would you give up? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
Question

I ran into a friend of mine who checked out of the hospital two weeks ago and he told me he was giving up riding. Twice was enough for him. He is thinking three times and your out for good mentality. He said it's his choice not to ride anymore, but he also said if he got back on another bike his girlfriend would leave him. I was surprised to hear the news, considering he was just getting ready to start racing. This is basically was happend to make him lose his will. Comming down Palomar mt. he was to hot in a turn and highsided his bike being thrown off, over top of the guard rails and down the side of the mountain he went. He swears he wouldn't be alive if he didn't have his kevlar armor, leathers, and race boots on because he landed about thirty feet down the side. I can't speak form experience because I've never been thrown off a mountain before, but as long as my body is fully functional I can't see myself not living life on two wheels.

------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 12:15 PM

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jk6672:
but as long as my body is fully functional I can't see myself not living life on two wheels. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. You only live once.

------------------
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 01:07 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spitfire:
...You only live once.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you only DIE once...

------------------
Fear Green.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 01:10 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:
And you only DIE once...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but life's no fun without taking chances.

------------------
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 01:16 PM

If I landed in the hospital TWICE, I'd probably give up street riding, but I would take up racing.

------------------
'98 Superhawk
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 02:49 PM
jrm

Whether it is motorcycling or anything else, there may be something that appeals SO much to a person, yet they realize that their ability/approach to it is so gung-ho that it is not further of positive benefit.

Whether it is the fat person who swears off Twinkies after the second bypass...

The partier who realizes that when he starts to drink, he drinks to much...

Or the rider who is thankful for the whole moto-experience, but has mentally switched gears to less risky hobbies...

To each his own. You do only live/die once, but what is important to any particular person is very individual.

Maybe his girlfriend will still let him work on/clean your bike so as not to lose touch!

------------------
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 03:05 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
If I landed in the hospital TWICE
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to offend jk6672 and his riding skills, but if you crash twice (assuming you did it on your own), motorcycling just may not be the sport for 'ya. Then again, what you like to do is what you like to do..........I see no reason to quit just 'cause ya suck at it.

------------------
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 03:36 PM

Hell, I've "crashed" more than twice, and had more near misses than I care to remember, but haven't landed myself in a hospital. Then again I tend to take it easier when riding roads with big dropoffs and guardrails. I rate myself as a skilled rider (don't we all), but I do tend to ride closer to "race pace" than "the pace".

------------------
'98 Superhawk
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 04:00 PM

Sorry to hear that your friend is giving up. I can understand his fears and that of his girlfriend. My wife worries about me all the time. Hasn't stopped me from riding and she hasn't said I should stop or she will leave me.

So far I have been lucky and have stayed out of the ER (by the way, try not to have an accident in June or especially July; resident doctors are just starting in July and really have no clue at all. I know, I was one once! ). Then again, I realize they ARE out to get us and try not to overcook things...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3
Moderator, ZR-Riders Mailing List
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 05:05 PM

CRASHING SUCKS
A bad crash is a pretty tramatic experience for anybody,and it can have lasting effects for some people.

I say if the guy never wants to ride again.... Fine...Don't

It's his decision and if that's his choice..respect it and move on. When he is ready, he will ride again.

Sportbikes and a lack of confidence are a dangerous combination.

Sorry to hear about your buddy I hope he has a full recovery.

Thank god for thick skinned cows. . . . .and kevlar...

------------------
Dave FZR1

"Master....Master... where's the dreams that I've been after

Master...Master...You promised only lies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode