500EX or CBRf3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I agree. I would go with the F3, but with you being a college student, I would price out the insurance first. In my case, I am paying less for my TL1000 than I did for my GSXR-600. Go figure.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 08:46 PM
Pete

Without throwing other choices into the mix, I concur with HySyde's vote - the F3.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:44 AM

Question

I tried to post this question earlier but I do not see it so forgive me if this question appears twice.

I'm a 23 yr old college student. 5'10 180lbs and looking to get a first bike. I'm getting conflicting views about the kind of bike I need to get . Some say get a used cbrF3 and others say get a EX500. I'm leaning towards the CBR F3 because it feels a bit more sturdy and less likely for me to get bored with quick. I would like to hear any input on the subject especially from those who have had a similiar expirence (with their first bike). I don't want to grow out of a bike too quickly as I don't have the funds or time to be selling and buying bikes. I want something to last me for at least two to three years. I'll be taking the MSF course just as soon as a class is open here in Atlanta. And will be getting a bike just as soon as I get that taken care of. Any input would be helpful.

Thanx in advace,

The ATLien

------------------

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:55 AM
hy_syde

Wink

F3 all the way!!!

a SV650 would be great as well unless u just want the full fairings look...

------------------
FASTER THAN A SPEEDING TICKET!!!

Austin Sportbike Board
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:02 AM

Hello. You didn't specify whether or not this is your first street bike. Dirt bikes don't count, as dirt riding techniques are very different from the techniques you will need on the street. Assuming both bikes are in the same shape and mileage, the F3 is the better bike. The EX500 is a great bike, but the F3 is better. If this is your first streetbike though, take the EX. It is not a fully faired bike and your wallet will appreciate this fact when you drop the bike in the parking lot at 10mph. And you will drop the bike. Also, half-faired, or non-faired bike are far cheaper to insure than fully-faired bikes. All things need to be taken into consideration. Either bike is an excellent choice though. It's up to your skill level and wallet ultimately though. Good luck.

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:15 AM

Between the 2, the Honda is a much better bike. I wouldn't worry too much about getting bored.

P.S. Hysyde, is Lime Creek road still littered with the plastic pieces of bikes whose owners managed to find a spark of very intense excitement in an otherwise boring ride??

------------------
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:36 AM
hy_syde

hey there leon,

when was the last time u been out on lime creek??? if it's been a while, the road has been re-paved in the last few years and is actually a got some stretches on it...

of course ppl still go there to race or get carried away and end up in the trees!

some of friends like to hit it out there, but i don't frequent it cuz it is just too easy to slip up and get hurt.

------------------
FASTER THAN A SPEEDING TICKET!!!

Austin Sportbike Board
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:38 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leon90zx11:
is Lime Creek road still littered with the plastic pieces of bikes whose owners managed to find a spark of very intense excitement in an otherwise boring ride??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leon, I was just telling Todd about that road. It's short but very sweet. Not exactly a Dragon but surely a bad ass firefly. O yeah, Honda F3 all the way. If your in college you don't have enough spare drinking money to be fixin' a Kaw

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
neither.

the ex isn't as good as the sv.

the f3 isn't as good for a newbie as the f2 (though it is a better sportbike). either honda needs a manual cam chain tensioner (saves head aches).

you and arif, should pay attention to this and compare to an f3 (in md or va, i forget).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> posted by kOOk elsewhere:

Comments
1994 F2, Track/street 6500 miles, 500 of them track(this season), rest is street. Streetable with addition of turn signals (still have). OEM bodywork (R/W/B) All track mods done this past winter, and include:

Race-Tech Gold Valves and springs (.95s).

Ohlins shock (with ride height adjustment)

520 conversion (Vortex, D.I.D.)

Vortex Clip-ons

CFM rearsets

Braided lines

EBC HH pads

F3 rear wheel

Slip-on (still have stock can)

Factory jet kit

Frame sliders

Bike was lowsided once at Summit JC damage limited to scraped frame slider, mid panel and footpeg. Still have all the OEM stuff that was removed. Also includes a spare set of wheels.

Last time at Pocono East, I ran consistent 1:14s with this bike.

Got an R6 was planning on keeping F2 as back-up track bike. But, if I can sell it for what I want, I will unload it.

$3500 firm. Pics available.

mailto:[email protected]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kOOk is good friends with a buddy of mine and we've talked a few times. he's a stay up guy.

as for the question at hand. for the newbie, the sv650 is best, then f2.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 10:10 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cosmo:
Dirt bikes don't count, as dirt riding techniques are very different from the techniques you will need on the street.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not entirely true. Many of the skills required to ride a dirtbike transfer over to street riding as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cosmo:
If this is your first streetbike though, take the EX.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good point. If you have experience with dirtbikes, you might want to lean towards the F3 (it's a very good bike). But if this is your first bike straight out, I'd consider the EX. You're likely to learn more on it becuase it doesn't go quite as fast and it handles a bit more easily for a beginner. It's also cheaper - straight out AND when you drop it.

------------------
SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode