Should your helmet colors match your bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I was browsing around some sites looking for apparel and protective gear such as a helmet, jacket, and gloves. I am going to be needing all of them when I finally get a bike in the near future. While I was browsing I got to thinking, should you buy a helmet that matches your bike? I never really took the time to think about it myself but it does it really matter? This also led me to other questions such as should all of your gear match or is this too much? How much variation is needed not to look like you just got off of the track when you are cruising around on a Sunday? I guess there is a fine line between getting stuff that compliments your bike and getting gear that makes you look like a fool.

Let's hear some opinions on whether you helmet should match your bike and whether you should stop there.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 12:35 PM

I don't match. I go with fit & protection

------------------
Ken
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I agree about fit and protection. However, you can easily find the gear you want and then choose the colors or in the case of helmets, the graphics. So you can have fit, protection, and matching gear if thats what you want. The question is how much should you match?

------------------

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 04:00 PM

My Joe Rocket ballistic stuff matches the color of my bike (black/red), so I purposefully got a leather jacket (black/ cream Bulldog) that doesn't. I have a Doohan replica lid that would never match anything. Don't really care about matching, IMO, I would look even goofier if everything matched perfectly.

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 04:13 PM

Cool

Look at most riders and you will notice that most things do not match. Some items wear out sooner then others so you replace it with what works best for you at that time and usually end up with stuff that does not match. If you try to match with your bike then you may be out of luck later since it seems most sport bike riders replace their bikes every few years.

Things that should match are both gloves should and both riding boots but if you are RCjohn then that does not mater.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Scotty, that Doohan Replica has always been one of my favs. My other fav is the Yellow Raptor Arai hat. I always thought that the
Doohan was Red and Blue from the pics and that would seem to match up well with a Gixxer.

Twisties, good point about things wearing out and new bikes. One or the other is going to happen and then it's going to get real expensive to stay in fashion.

------------------
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 06:32 PM

Thumbs up

i got a yellow/black f4, and have a edwards replica, kinda match's, but i don't give a rats @ss ! i just wana be like colin !

------------------
texas tornado #2
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 03:50 AM

Find out what fits you best and then buy the color you like. If it matches then that's just icing on the cake. I just picked up my new "Haga" replica. It sorta matches but is comfortable and that is the bottom line.

------------------
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 05:11 AM

Talking

All my gear is black

Good points
I can hop on any bike and not look out of place-except on a Kaw .
All the manufacturers make stuff in the same shade of black so I don't have to match company X's yellow to company Y's yellow.
I don't look like a freakin' Power Ranger (atleast not one of the good ones)

Bad points
It is sooooo freakin' hot!!!!!!!! Should have went with yellow? If I get another pair of boots, they won't be black.

Whatever gear you wear, just remember what Mama always said and wear clean underwear everytime you ride. And John, leave the Power Puff Girl underoos at home
------------------
Clark

[This message has been edited by RUG BURN (edited August 08, 2000).]
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 05:15 AM

Exclamation

I have a silver/red cbr. I bought a nice honda racing perforated leather in black/red matching my arai haga replica in red/white. My cousin then started teasing me that i was too color coordinated and the red/black jacket was similar to michael jackson's "thriller" or "beat it" jacket. He told me to just wear one glove to add to the michael jackson look.

I couldn't get over what he said so I replaced the jacket with a black/silver alpinestars. So now, the jacket and helmet altogether matches the bike but the helmet isn't the same color as the jacket. Looks nice IMO.

------------------
/\|_|_/\|\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode