"joining" a group ride - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Today while riding alone, I saw three other sportbikers. I was waiting to turn off a side street and they passed by headed the same way I was. I waved as they passed and they waved back. Not really knowing any other sportbikers around here, I caught up and tagged along at the end of their pack for a while. They were well behaved so I stayed with them for about 20 minutes, keeping more distance between me and them than they were between each other.

After I while, I got worried that maybe I was making them uncomfortable. Other than the wave when we first spotted each other, they never acknowledged me--which was fine because I was content to tag along. They turned a couple of times and I finally broke off.

My question is, is what I did proper? Do group riders like to have larger packs to ride with or was I crashing a party? I am just curious as to what everyone's opinion is.

Thanks!

------------------
John E. Dawson
'87 Ninja 600R
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 10:22 AM

Talking

I too, have wondered about others feelings on this. Although I haven't joined in on anybodys "party" without an invite, I have had others join me. I don't mind others joining in, as long as they don't endanger the group or if I'm alone, me, and don't do things to attract unwanted attention.
I do signal for them to stop and introduce myself and discuss who they are and their likes when riding.

------------------
Marty
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 12:15 PM

If I'm on a group ride, and someone wants to join they are more than welcome. I would prefer however, that they not try to turn it into some crazy high speed jaunt. If you are joining my group, ride at my pace. I will even slow down to meet yours, but not speed up.

I learned today that I will not join another group ride. Myself, Kornkid, and another rider were on a group ride. Everything was fine until we met up with another group who asked us to ride with them. We agreed, and as they were riding a little fast for us, myself and Kornkid had dropped back. When we dropped back Kornkid got nailed by the cops. When I noticed he was no longer behind me, I notified our friend and turned around to find him. We found him, sitting in front of a cop. And for my kindness, I got nailed as well. I guess I deserve it though. I

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 01:15 PM

Hey Colin, Thanks for checking on me. I still hate that you got busted. We'll have to do another ride except your wife is going next time. Maybe we won't run into the "group".

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks for the feedback. I was very well behaved on their ride today. The lead guy would occasionally play around like getting a hole shot at a light and the rest of us playing catch up.

I broke off when they turned onto a busy road and took off. The guy just ahead of me didn't get out in traffic in time and got left behind. (He had a ZX-9, so I am sure he caught up.) I decided not to give chase though.

Talk about bad luck Colin and Kornkid! Sounds like you both took the rap for the misdeeds of the guys in front of you!

------------------
John E. Dawson
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 01:54 PM

Talking

I have no problem with another rider joining our group, but pretty much like everyone has said, as long as they don't attract attention and as long as they don't act crazy or try to push up the pace. I also don't like it when someone I'm not familiar with tries to ride right up next to me in my lane!

Colin, I would have done just like you, gone back to check on Jacob and that SUCKS that you got a ticket. When one in our group gets stuck at a light, we always pull over and wait or slow down for them to catch up and if I look back and for some reason the back person isn't there, I tell my husband and we go back to see what the deal is. Guess we would have gotten nailed too.

Hope to do some riding with you both soon, as we're for sure moving to Port Orange in about 11 days.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 02:19 PM

The worst part is that all those guys who asked us to ride with them never turned around to check on any of us.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 09:12 PM

Colin, man that really sucks, Id be very pissed... Things like that are about as "unfair" as it gets.. No justice for the REAL speeders.. just the ones who arnt such a "threat" to the cop's ego..

Better luck in the future.

About joining a group. As long as you take your place as a "follower" and dont try to be "better" than the group, or crowd them, i dont think anyone has problems with a stranger joining. But remember it's "thier" ride, not yours.

------------------
Fear Green.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 07:29 AM

Question

okey, next question... Is it okey to tail a group of Harley riders?? They wouldn't mind if I just follow them right?? hehehehehe.

------------------
A|_|_/\N
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 07:49 AM

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NJF4:
okey, next question... Is it okey to tail a group of Harley riders?? They wouldn't mind if I just follow them right?? hehehehehe.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to lose my balance when I ride that slow. Besides, you know what an oil pan bolt can do to your radiator--probably nothing at 6mph, but still

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode