Stories like this don't help... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Despite a token attempt at balance, on the whole, the article came out sounding like it was written by the person who did the screenplay for "Reefer Madness".

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 08:43 PM
Squidwannabe

DAMN SQUIDS!!!!!!!

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 05:25 AM

Unhappy

http://www.cleveland.com/news/index....d/ca07mca.html

From the Monday edition of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

It's a copy of the article that was in our paper, except for the photos that showed an a-hole wheelieing for the camera in a tiger-fur and polished framed Gixxer on the highway.(complete with fuzzy tail hanging off near the rear wheel- duh..) There were also photos of firemen removing bodies from accident scenes.

Bad press all the way around... isn't it interesting to see how "they" perceive "us"?

'cane

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hurricane (edited August 08, 2000).]

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 05:42 AM

Great article, it sums up the typical citizens view perfectly. Damn squids! I'm sick of it. If only those morons could mature, put their ego aside and ride responsibly.

------------------
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 05:46 AM

Angry

That's just plain ridiculous. They make it sound like everyone on a sport bike rides like a moron.

------------------
mean machines
1989 zx600r
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 06:20 AM

Sorry, but the story was not ENTIRELY unrealistic. It did balance the issue somewhat and we all know there ARE idiots on sportbikes and they do JUSt what the article said.

The article DID say several times that accidents and deaths etc have dropped on motorcycles.

We need to stop whining and be more responsible riders.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited August 08, 2000).]
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 06:41 AM

I don't think anyones whining, and I do agree I think the article was fairly balanced. SOmetimes the truth sucks..The biggest problem is the good guys are never seen. The only thing the public sees is the idiots doing wheelies in residential areas at 300 in the afternoon. They don't see us standing around on Friday nights shooting the bull and NOT drinking beer like some other types of riders (what a bunch of whackos)...They don't see the kind of care that we all stress here on these boards...

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 07:41 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:
Sorry, but the story was not ENTIRELY unrealistic. It did balance the issue somewhat and we all know there ARE idiots on sportbikes and they do JUSt what the article said...We need to stop whining and be more responsible riders.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with you GreenBoy. I think the story was nothing more than sensationalism. I read the article and promptly fired-off a letter to Mr. Mike Tobin. I recommend that others do the same. I've pasted a copy of the letter below:

Dear Mike Tobin:

I recently read your article titled "High-speed bikers outrace authority in dangerous game." That has to be some of the most irresponsible journalism I've had the displeasure of reading in quite some time. "For them, the highway is a raceway." Please explain to me who "them" are? Why is it that people like yourself, simply want to "shock" the public with tales of crazed bikers on their "Ninja's?" You are stereotyping, and articles such as that do nothing more than perpetuate peoples stereotypical outlook toward the sportbike community.

I have been riding "Crotch Rockets" for twenty years, both on and off the track. You won't find a more responsible rider than myself. I have never, nor would I ever, ride in such a manner as to endanger someones life. The majority of sportbike enthusiasts whom I know personally (this number is in the thousands), are more cautious and careful than any "car driver." When was the last time you heard about a driver dying on the street because a motorcyclist claimed "I didn't see him!" and blindly turned left in front of the car? Why don't you run an article about that one percent of automobile drivers who run from the law and drive too fast? Allow me to quote a paragraph in your article.

"The next week, Alex Ocana was driving his 1995 Kawasaki
Ninja ZX7 motorcycle on Denison Ave. on Cleveland’s near
West Side. Witnesses said Ocana, 23, was popping wheelies
and traveling more than 80 mph when his bike slammed into a
turning car driven by a 17-year-old Cleveland girl."

I'm certain that Alex was speeding, but I also suspect that the 17-year-old girl did not yield and turned blindly into the path of the motorcycle. You just assume that it was the riders fault because it adheres well with the rest of your drivel. You go on to protect yourself by throwing-in an occasional remark regarding responsible riders. Who are you trying to fool. You know that after reading the content of that article, that no matter what you say, people are going to see nothing more than the crazed wheelie popping, 160 mph, running from the police crotch rockets that you so artfully described.

Perhaps you should have conversed with the ninety-nine percent of sportbike enthusiasts who do ride responsibly, and desperately try to edjucate people about the biking community. But that wouldn't sell very many papers, would it? You've done nothing more than effectively solidified the stereotype that so many people have regarding bike riders.

What I want to stress to you is that the group of riders which you represent with your article are a very small minority among sportike enthusiasts. It really is unfair that you generalize. I can only hope that continued effort on behalf of the sportbike community will change the publics perception that all bikers are irresponsible. Perhaps you could do your part by printing a counterpoint artcle discussing the other "ninety-nine percent."

Sincerely,

Paul H. Sisley

------------------
-Paul
You ride like shit...
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 07:46 AM

PAul...keep us posted on replies to that letter. I'm greatly interested to hear what he has to say if anything.....

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 09:06 AM

Did anybody else besides me notice that this IDIOT posted his E-Mail address at the bottom of the story. Another fact: Did you notice that the guy killed on the Ninja was dead because the girl pulled out in front of him! I realize that speed was a factor however, she did pull out.

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode