How long can ya loft 'em? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Before I toasted my bike, I had been working on wheelies. I made sure I was in a secluded area, or at the local dragstrip, but mostly old country roads with no drives. The best one was about 15min. away from my house. They had just resurfaced the road, and it was buttery smooth. Anyway, that's where I practiced, and eventually mastered, the wheelie.

My wheelies and how I do them:

First off, I hate clutching the bike up. The F4 has the balls to lift it without any clutch, so I used 'em. Anyway, after my carbs were reworked, I had most of my power above 6,500 (as opposed to around 5,500 stock). I would simply take the bike to 6500-7000, hold it there and then whack that mofo open WIDE.

Right before I hit the rev-limiter (14,300 rpm) I would hit 2nd. I am the only person I know who actually uses the clutch while wheelie-shifting. It's smoother, and I was able to easily maintain my wheelies while shifting.

Anyway, the day I mastered my wheelies was perfect. Nice and bright outside. No traffic as usual, and nothing but hot blacktop just waiting to grip my fresh Dunlop(s). I ran up and down the road a few times to ensure proper tire temp. Then I went to the end, turned around, and started the process. I pulled my bike up HIGH, shifted 2nd, and literally held it there until I saw a car coming the other way. Approx 45 sec. @65-75mph. It was the greatest feeling ever. After that, I was pretty much able to do a wheelie for as long as the road/traffic/little animals would let me.

Wheelies are fun and give a GREAT rush. When done in the right place they can be fairly safe too, if you know what you are doing anyway. I must say though, if I had to choose between a good run thru some tight twisties and a road begging for wheelies, I'd go with the twisties. That's where the boys (and girls) are seperated from the men (and women )

Ain't nobody gonna tell ME an F4 don't have the balls to ride mile+ long wheelies. It's the rider who lacks balls (or the female equivalent).

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4 -
Lost to the Blacktop God. 4,699 miles in under 3 mos. $8,300 worth of damage to my one and only baby. On the brighter side: Can you say 929rr???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 08:20 PM

Well as for how long I have no idea, I don't ride them THAT long. I do shift on one wheel and I use the clutch. I don't know if it's due to my low gearing or just that my bike sucks, but first to second without a clutch just sucks, feels like someone hit's the back of the bike with a car.
I don't use the clutch to get it up unless I'm in 2ed, cuz god knows throttle just won't do it in 2ed on an FZR (that's the 600,I would guess the 1000 will do it no prob)
Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

------------------
Mu toys,

84VF500F (RIP)
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RX
Yamaha acoustic
JB player acoustic
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 08:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fizzman:

I don't use the clutch to get it up unless I'm in 2ed, cuz god knows throttle just won't do it in 2ed on an FZR (that's the 600,I would guess the 1000 will do it no prob)
Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice! your doing something right if you can
get the FZR to do all that. Yeah the R1 will
lift the front in 3rd with just throttle. But
that's alot easier than what you are doing bro! Nice.

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 07:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Question

I know this thread is going to start the whole
squid issue ROLLING, but hey what do I care.

All the wheelie heads out there... How long
can you ride them? On good days I usually
run out of road before I run out of wheelie.
I realize that some bikes (most of the ones
I've owned) are not conducive to buffoonery
but for those of you who do them, what kind
of bike are you riding them on and how long
can you keep it up?

Also, do you shift gears? Clutch it up or
just use the throttle?? Let us hear about it!

Chris

------------------
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:01 AM

i still have ta clutch em up.. but im on a geared (14/44) only 97 gsxr600 in colorado.

i am finally at a point where i need to shift.. but im so concerned about the balance point & not crashing that i still come down in 1st w/the tach bouncing off the limiter.

ill get their though.

------------------
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:34 AM
Pete

From about right here...........to about......................right here.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited July 31, 2000).]
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
From about right here...........to about......................right here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete ouch! Man, you are breaking my heart.
I'm so sorry bro... Soon Enough man!!

Peace.

------------------
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:40 AM

Pete, I find that somewhat odd, my buddy let's me take his superhawk all the time when he's at work (my bike is down for a bit). Every little bump in the road is reason enough to goose it and put some air between the fron wheel and the road.
I don't even think I could own a twin for that reason(get into too much trouble), or I just might buy a twin for that reason( too much fun).

Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

------------------
Mu toys,

84VF500F (RIP)
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RX
Yamaha acoustic
JB player acoustic
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:44 AM

Well, I have never check the distance, but I can go for awhile. I can (sometimes) change lanes to go around a car,bike, what ever and return to my orig. lane.

I will lift it in 1st. I also use just the gas to lift it but I do use the clutch EVERY time I shift (wheelie or not). I can go 1-2-3-4 an my F4. I don't like to go any faster then 4th on one wheel. It gets alittle uneasy at that speed.

I learned on my F3 but I think the F4 does them alittle better.

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:51 AM

Wink

From Turn 4, all the way down the short chute to Turn 5 at Firebird...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode