Finally found missing ZX12 top end! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Undoubtedly you've read the same things I have, 'cane. It does seem overly simplistic to just mount a different pipe and pick up 8 mph at those speeds. The details of the test are listed in the following site - http://www.muzzys.com - under racing news. The test was done with a number of safeguards in place to ensure accuracy. Check it out and see if it satisfies your criteria for a scientific test. Granted, Muzzy is not exactly an impartial observer, but they did use an accredited timer who has no connection to Muzzy or Kaw, and a speed trap as opposed to a radar gun, and all test conditions are listed in the article. As I have only ridden Kaws for the last 20 years, it makes me feel a little better, sure, but
when it comes down to it, I never got off my bike thinking it was slow. What I do wonder is how the low midrange holds up to the lowering of back pressure with cams that have 300 degrees of overlap. I wouldn't mind seeing dyno sheets. Maybe if I ever do get to feeling my bike is slow, I'll buy one and find out. Later.......

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Ever since before I bought my bike, I heard stories of how it was limited on top end. Went onto Muzzy's site looking for a cure. This is what I found. Completely stock, the bike ran at 192mph. With the addition of a Muzzy pipe, the bike ran 199.1 mph, with the testers stating that the bike could have gone faster with more room than 1.1 miles. Apparently, the only limit to the 12's performance is the cat installed in the stock pipe. I knew that Kaw would never design or willingly release a bike that was not the fastest in its class. It's not their way. Check out Muzzy's site.

------------------
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 03:33 AM

Thumbs up

WOOHOOO!!

We all knew it was true.... HAHAAA... neeenerneener !!!

GREEN GREEN GREEN!

------------------
Fear Green.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 05:28 AM

Arrow

Not to dog the Kawi engineers, but I believe I read that there were other factors in the limitation of the 12R's top end.

Then, again- I don't want to 'question' Muzzy's results either.

I have heard that some last minute "changes" were made to appease the growing threat of restriction from certain European communities. (also note that the Hayabusa isn't as fast this year) I read somewhere of 12R's whose oil pans were seemingly filled up properly, yet were actually way overfilled, killing performance, and in some cases motors.

I also recall something about a remapped "black box" which inhibits fuel and timing slightly- enough to satisfy those who don't find bikes like the 12R quite PC enough. However, I do believe Muzzy and some other aftermarket companies have found ways around it already.

If you just yank the catalyst out of your bike's exhaust, aren't you then speeding the exit of the exhaust gas? Which is a good step towards more power in any motor, but what would you do to increase the fuel input to balance out that equation? (it's injected, right?)

Anyway, I agree that Kawasaki wouldn't just release a bike willingly that they knew wasn't going to be the new king of fast. I think it is/was a bunch of factors that figured in to taming the 12R. Just seems too simple that one could just remove their exhaust catalyst and blammo- all the missing top end is back.....

'cane

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hurricane (edited July 24, 2000).]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 04:21 PM

Talking

Leon-

No special criteria needed to suit me- just wondering if there was more to the story. No doubt that the addition of the Muzzy pipe will help, I was just thinking that it wasn't just the catalyst that was involved. After all, Muzzy is in the business to sell pipes, right? Yet at the same time, I'm sure he/they know(s) an awful lot about Kawasakis by now!

Like you said though- something to consider if you ever get to feeling like your bike is slow. When we're discussing a bike the likes of your 12R, fast is kind of a relative term. Only 190 mph? What?! Where's my extra 10 mph dammit!

'cane

'cane

------------------
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 07:35 PM

I've also heard if you over fill it with oil just a little bit it really slows it down. Who was it that drained close to two quarts out and ran faster on the 1/4 with it? Anyone? I don't remember either.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 01:24 AM

ricky gadson

------------------
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Yes, 'cane, there is one more thing. The Muzzy pipe is LOUD. I've heard one, and to be honest it's a little louder than I like. I got my service manual this weekend, and I was looking at the construction of the exhaust system. You can see that the cat is rather restrictive. I was thinking about ordering the pipe, but then I had to ask myself if I really wanted to lay out almost a grand to go almost 200 when I haven't even gotten up to 170 yet, and knowing that I probably won't be racing. Is it worth it? Right now, to me, the answer is no. I think that for right now, at least, I'm going to be like Dan, and be comfortable enough with my manhood to ride a stock bike!

------------------
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:21 PM

Then again I bought mine used with...a Muzzy exhaust. But I haven't had mine over 110 yet. It's a good week if my bike sees over 60. I am an easy rider. Besides, chicks can't see me if I go fast.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode