STOLEN !!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Red face

fellow riders,

it is with great regret that i announce that my beloved 1999 F4 was STOLEN from my apartment complex's "secure" garage!

i saw it last evening and when i came back from work today it was no longer in its spot.

it is a real sad day for me. i was about to purchase a new set of tires at work and looking forward to my weekly run in the twisties on the weekends. not to mention an upcoming track day in a couple of weeks.

i dont know who would do such a thing but at this time i am drowning in sorrow. my bike was not locked down or anything. alteast they did not manage to cut through the chain all the way on the R6 that parks next to me. but i guess they were after the sportbikes in the lot since the other bikes (tourers, viragos, etc) were not even touched!

i had full coverage with Nationwide insurance. it remains to be see what and how much they will give me and how soon. i had a question for all those who've had their bikes stolen. how much of the value did the insurance company pay you back? is it the blue book? my bike was definitely worth atleast 1000 bucks more with all the modifications on it. can i claim the value of these mods from the insurance company???

for those who want to see what my bike looked like here is a link: http://www.people.virginia.edu/~az4z/F4.htm

--------------
arif
'99 F4 (just stolen)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 02:19 PM

Oh, man- I don't even know what to say- I'm real sorry to hear that.

As far as the insurance goes, they will probably only give you the current book value. Which, could mean that if you financed the bike- well, it could be pretty depressing. I would try to take the receipts from the mods you've done and get them to the insurance company. What's the worst thing they are gonna say- no? It's definitely worth a shot.

Unfortunately, insurance companies tend to earn their customers' displeasure in situations like this. I really hope yours does right by you, especially at the kinds of premiums they charge us.

Just hang tough, man. And give your apt. manager some grief. "Secure" my ass. Never take a chance- any lock is better than none at all.

My sympathies- let us know what happens-

'cane

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hurricane (edited July 10, 2000).]
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Red face

thanks 'cane,

i did not owe anything on my bike. it was paid in cash. i just checked the blue book value at kelly's and it gave a figure of $7130.

yes, i do plan on getting my receipts together and see what i could do about the mods.

and yes i definitely plan on giving my apt. manager a piece of my mind!!

-----------
arif
'99 F4

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 02:27 PM

"Secure" garage huh? Bummer. Do you also have renter's insurance? If it is so secure are the contents of the garage covered by the complex's insurance? I would also check into these things. They make up the difference. I also wouldn't accept the first offer the insurance company throws out. I went through an ordeal when my house was struck by a small tornado. My garage and both cars were dmamged. By the time I got through arguing and generally bugging the shit out of them they paid everything, including replacement value of a tree I had growing in the front yard. Just don't give up. It may take a while.

And in the mean time----That BITES.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 02:44 PM

Angry

OH Man Arif! Im so bummed for you!! Dont worry bro, I know it sucks right now, but remember -they are replaceable even though yours was super sweet.

I believe they will give you street replacement value and should also pay for upgrades if you show receipts.

Good luck with the ins. co. It will probably be a good 30 day before they pay up.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 03:01 PM

That blows man. Sorry to hear it.

If it's of any consolation, it tells you that even the thieves know the Hondas are worth the risk and the Yamahas aren't.

That should wake up Chris.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 05:45 PM

Sad news indeed, but it could always be worse. My friends car was stolen, he got it back, but his stereo was ripped out. The ins. co. paid for damage to car, but wouldn't replace stereo. Luckily his personal home insurance covered it. Maybe you can look into this if your ins co. wont cover mods. I would put an ad on all classified ads and everywhere you can, maybe you can make that asshole's job a little tougher in making money off your bike. I guess you can start daydreaming about what your next bike will be....yaahooo.

Trevor

------------------
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 06:14 PM

Oh man... that really sucks... I don't have a lock for my bike either... I wish you lots of luck with the insurance! I know it can be hard, but they are replaceable!!!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 01:32 AM

Man, I totally feel your pain. Every night when I leave my bike and go into my apartment I wonder and hope it will be there when I awake in the morning. I plan on getting an alarm and meeting anyone that might set it off with my Mossberg 12 gauge. You really had a sweet F4, almost got me to buy one.
Best of luck with the insurance co.

Sincerely

------------------
Clark
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 03:19 AM

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. You hate to hear things like this. Hope you get a new ride SOON, but I know it's not the same.

Good luck with your Ins. company.. Sorry Bro

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Dan F4 (edited July 11, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode